Is this molting? Or a disease?

Chicken-poodle

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
VA
My girls are 10-11 months old. I didn't think they'd molt in the winter. They are a variety of breeds, but there are ones with downy fluffiness near their butts, one, my RIR, with broken feathers on her back, some with random baldness on their necks (but not necessarily symmetric), and some that are bald on the underside. I see a sore here and there in the bald areas, seems like in my low ranking hens. A few look normal! Note there are no roosters present. I have looked for mites, etc., but not really sure how to examine a chicken, and have low confidence I would recognize mites and lice. Please make your diagnoses based on these pics!

Where can I learn about the normal molting process? Does it happen at different times of year for different breeds? Do I just continue to give them 16% protein if it's regular molting? Should I put something on the sores? IMG_8905.jpeg IMG_8906.jpeg IMG_8911.jpeg Image.png

That's either parasite issue or picking, not molting.

As far as how to check for mites or lice, this article should help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dealing-with-mites.73543/ If you think you see anything concerning after checking a few birds over, describe what you find.

Feather picking can be related to protein intake (16% protein is bare minimum and may be worsened by low protein), boredom, pecking order issues, or a combo of those.

Looks like they're picking each other, that's caused by: boredom, low protein diet, tight quarters or parasites.
I'd get some higher protein feed, 18%-20%.
How big is their coop?
Do you have a rooster?

Looks like they're picking each other, that's caused by: boredom, low protein diet, tight quarters or parasites.
I'd get some higher protein feed, 18%-20%.
How big is their coop?
Do you have a rooster?
The coop is 4x5, and the run is 10x15. The coop is in the run, but they can go under it. No rooster.

4x5 = 20 sq ft. Figure 4 sq ft per bird, you really only have room for 5 birds comfortably, so they are a little crowded. Ideally, your run should have some things they can jump/stand on (like an old chair or bench), things to hide behind for a little privacy, but not get trapped in - a half sheet of plywood leaning up against one wall works nicely - and things to shelter under for shade. These things are called "enrichment" and help prevent boredom. These are the bare minimum. A dust bath too, of course.

Back
Top Bottom