IS THIS NORMAL? Please look at this thread!

Since shes' a RIR (from your sig), and they mature pretty quickly, she could be getting ready to lay an egg :)

My RIR was one of the first to lay at four months. Several of my chickens acted strangely right before they started to lay. They became a bit agitated, and very loud. Like they didnt understand what was happening to their body and it was stressful to them. This would go on for a few days after their first egg too, actually maybe it lasted about a week after their first egg. Once they got the hang of it, it stopped. So hopefully that is what is wrong with yours.

Mine free-range in my backyard all day, so I didn't notice them roosting except at night. When they seemed especially stressed I would go out and talk softly to them, and it seemed to calm them down. But sometimes nothing helped and they just had to go through with it. I'm sure my neighbors were worried it would continue- it became very loud around our place!

Oh, and the ones that instinctively knew to lay in the nest boxes started practicing ahead of time. Sometimes they would lay in them for almost an hour. I have one that still lays in my garden in a little nest she made. Not sure how that is going to play out this winter lol.

My Welsummer is doing the same thing. She stays away from our 4 other hens and does her own thing and keeps bocking and bocking. What does that usually mean?

Back
Top Bottom