Is this normal rooster behavior?

I have new rooster too and have hand raised him from a chick. "She" was the sweetest friendliest bird, but I wonder now if maybe what you are describing is what is happening to my bird. I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

Centrarchid - I understand what you're saying and know that you have spent much time researching and studying the behaviors of your birds and management of those behaviors. And I respect that and your knowledge and experience. All I have to go on is what I have experienced and seen in my own flock. In my limited experience, I have pretty much interacted with my chickens the same way. I feed them, water them, collect eggs, sometimes I sit on a stump and observe them being chickens. I've had a lot of roosters over the years and some have been good and some have not. I've come to the unscientific conclusion that it's the luck of the draw. I am in no way arguing or disputing what you have said. Just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

One of my roosters turned nasty recently, he is now separated from the flock in an enclosure by himself as I had been worming everyone and I need to keep him on ordinary food for a week before he is safe to eat.
When I returned to chicken keeping I decided that although I love my chooks any surplus roos that I couldn't sell or any problem birds were for dinner. I love my flock but will not let any one bird be a risk to the others or to me and my family, my two year old daughter loves them and likes to feed and pet them and they come running when they see her.
I won't have her at risk of being harmed so aggressive birds get eaten, I am very fond of the roo in question and he getting the best of care and will be dispatched quickly and cleanly.
This is the reality of producing your own food.

One of my roosters turned nasty recently, he is now separated from the flock in an enclosure by himself as I had been worming everyone and I need to keep him on ordinary food for a week before he is safe to eat.
When I returned to chicken keeping I decided that although I love my chooks any surplus roos that I couldn't sell or any problem birds were for dinner. I love my flock but will not let any one bird be a risk to the others or to me and my family, my two year old daughter loves them and likes to feed and pet them and they come running when they see her.
I won't have her at risk of being harmed so aggressive birds get eaten, I am very fond of the roo in question and he getting the best of care and will be dispatched quickly and cleanly.
This is the reality of producing your own food.
Good for you! What to do with the mean or extra roosters one has often raised from chicks and becomes attached to can be one of the hardest parts of flock management. It's good to go in with a plan before you even start.

"Avoid stressing hens though excessive handling; hens avoiding you or making bawk sound indicates stress. Do not recoil from rooster's advances on you nor act aggressively in return." Centrachid

I think that this is very important. It is the difference between keeping a flock and raising a pet. I am always aware of the attitude of my rooster. I have worked with animals all my life, but just like having them rather than touching them. I very SELDOM handle my hens....... as in almost never. It upsets them, and I don't like that. They look healthy so I assume they are healthy. They are relaxed around me, milling around my feet, looking for treats. And I think Centrchid is right, the hens are calm and that keeps the rooster calm.

The only bad rooster I had, was a rooster that came up with flock mates, did not grow up in an established flock. The bird quickly got bigger than his flock mates, and rapidly became a bully to all. He started showing signs of aggression and I dispatched him. I occasionally have children with me around the chickens. I do teach children how to behave, but I am not going to have a mistake on either the child's part or the roo's part be a disaster.

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom