Is this normal??

fowlplayer2

Chirping
Feb 23, 2019
I have a Opington hen she is a year old , recently she seems to want to stay in the nest box most of the time. She doesnt want to eat her Layena so much but when I put out some scratch she comes a running.she's not losing weight that I can tell nor is she lossing any feathers, her color is good, and everything is clear when you pick her up and invert her and check her vent its like its pulsation( opening and closing ). And suggestion is something wrong I am new at this.. I have wormed her in the last 3 days..

Welcome to BYC.
What did you use to worm her?
When was the last time she laid an egg and...
Feel her belly...what does it feel like?
Hard/firm full, soft squishy?

Also, what does her normal daily diet consist of?

probably over 3months ago on the egg laying, wormed her with Worminator. I got from twin cities poultry supply in Burlington Ohio, I'll have to let you know on the belly feel Its not what you would say hard but it not soft and squishy. daily diet is Layena crumbles and some 5-grain scratch feed at night as a treat.

probably over 3months ago on the egg laying, wormed her with Worminator. I got from twin cities poultry supply in Burlington Ohio, I'll have to let you know on the belly feel Its not what you would say hard but it not soft and squishy. daily diet is Layena crumbles and some 5-grain scratch feed at night as a treat.
Double check her belly.
Chickens lay eggs...it's what they do unless they are molting or busy being broody so when I hear that someone quit laying eggs months ago I immediately think not good.
:(

Double check her belly.
Chickens lay eggs...it's what they do unless they are molting or busy being broody so when I hear that someone quit laying eggs months ago I immediately think not good.
:(
ok your scaring me what may be wrong, other than this behavior she doesnt act sick, I have had others that have stopped for a while then began again. I am in VA we have had very cold nights and not so great days with a lot of rain the last 3 months. when you say double check her belly what am I checking for? What are thinking it could be?

ok your scaring me what may be wrong, other than this behavior she doesnt act sick, I have had others that have stopped for a while then began again. I am in VA we have had very cold nights and not so great days with a lot of rain the last 3 months. when you say double check her belly what am I checking for?
I do not want to scare you, that is not my intention.

Internal laying is the first thing that comes to mind.
If she isn't laying eggs in the nest she could have something wrong with her reproductive parts and be laying them in her belly.

From what you described, she simply sounds broody to me.
I am so sorry.
I assumed @fowlplayer2 would know if she was broody.
Yes I agree...look up what this means as see if she is being broody right now.
But...if she hasn't been molting or broody for these last few months she should be laying regularly.

Back
Top Bottom