Is this "normal"?

SHELLY

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Southwest Missouri
I bought ten cornishx's last Sunday. In a weeks time they have doubled in weight. Yeah! However, I notced last night that they are growing lopsided. All of them seem to be growing a bump on the right side of their breast. I have never had cornishx before so is this "normal"? Is this how they grow and is it kinda weird because they grow so fast? Please see my pics and I hope you can see what I'm talking about.

Normal--I had 2 batches this year of cornish X and all 70+ looked like that as they were developing. Partially bald too. They do grow very fast and as they get to the 5-6 week range they can get to be very slow-moving, that's when their tummy feathers keep more intact with the ground/floor.
If you have any layer breeds make sure to keep them separated as the layers will peck (and possibly kill) the meat birds. Also, take their food away at night. Don't give them access to food 24/7 as they will gorge themselves to death.
Cornish X are susceptible to heart attacks and strokes, so overeating will contribute to those vulnerabilities.
Good luck--ours taste great, much much better flavor and texture than store-bought. We are also selling them after we processed them and have many repeat customers.

What you are seeing are very full crops. They eat and eat and eat so that's what they store it all in. As stated, they are prone to leg problems and heat strokes.

I raise them in groups of 4 with a few layers at the same time with no problems. They get food day round without restriction and do fine, although if you start to see leg problems, restriction may be good but does slow down their growth rate a bit. Good luck! Don't worry if they look bald either... it's normal for thoes little feathered pigs.

Thank you everyone for your responses. At first I thought it was the crop, but it is hard. Not like rock hard, but like muscle hard. Guess it could be a full crop.
hmm.png

I do take the feeder out at night. I read that in Backyard Poultry magazine before I read to give them feed 24/7 in the Storey's guide to poultry. Glad I did that. They are already out growing their feathers. I can easily see their joints (elbows, shoulders, etc.) where I didn't notice that with my layers.

If you are only feeding chick starter, they do not need grit. I also wanted to mention that they should really have free access to feed for the first 2-3 weeks, then start rationing. Works well for us and the chicks need the nutrition in their early growth.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom