Is this normal?

Gwen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Langley, Washington
My chickens are 5 months old. They are eating well and appear very healthy. But over the last few days, the appearance of their sides is changing. They are not as full on the lower sides as they used to be. I tried to take photos but don't know if this will come across.

It is really apparent on the buffs and the white rock, but all of the chickens have it.
34658_img_0807.jpg

34658_img_0805.jpg

Do you see what I mean? I guess I'd describe it as their ribs are showing. There's like a line showing an indentation maybe four or five inches above their legs. I hadn't noticed this before a few days ago and it seems more pronounced every day. Maybe this is normal as they near maturity?

They look healthy to me, from the pic. My brahmas and australorps look like that too. They are very fluffy. Probably just the appearance of new, heavier feathers. Those 2 breeds you have are known to be heavily feathered, which means they'll handle winter well. My EE's are "scrawnier" in their build and have a more slick appearance in their feathering than my other 2 heavy breeds. I think it's just where your chickens are coming into maturity.

You can tell if they are underweight by picking them up and feeling their breast bone (keel bone) and how the breast muscles flesh it out. If it's like a "V", they're perfect weight. A "U" is too fat. A "Y" is too skinny.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom