Is this normal?

I make my introductions while all the chickens are free ranging. That way they can check each other out and avoid them. I've also been known to "peck" one of the larger birds if they are being a little too aggressive with the Littles. I just take my finger and jab them a little. They have the same reaction to my pecks as the Littles have to theirs. Like whoa hey, ok. Sorry...lol. Let me get out of your way...

Thanks for all of your answers and tips! Being new to this I am not sure what to expect so this is a huge help!! Sometimes I'm not sure where I'd be if it weren't for BYC!! AND it's flock of course!!!

My coop is 10x12 and houses 8 adult chickens, well 7 right now and uh 12 smaller fully feathered young chickens and they free range all the time. I just have one super mean hen. She seems to hate all younger birds. She doesn't chase them around, but if they are within pecking distance she will surely peck them. She doesn't peck them after they've been in the coop for awhile but at first they just need to stay away from her. Grumpus

Last edited:
One hen has taken to living in the woods setting a clutch of eggs... 7 large fowl and the bantam is the woods broody.

My coop is 10x12 and houses 8 adult chickens, well 7 right now and uh 12 smaller fully feathered young chickens and they free range all the time. I just have one super mean hen. She seems to hate all younger birds. She doesn't chase them around, but if they are within pecking distance she will surely peck them. She doesn't peck them after they've been in the coop for awhile but at first they just need to stay away from her. Grumpus
Based on your coop dimensions and with 19 chickens...you're maxed out I would think.

10x12 is 120 Sq ft... One ft of space per bird is all that is needed since they free range from dawn until dusk...I am a long long long way away from being maxed out. Lol... even if you did the 4 Sq ft needed per bird with no free ranging I would still be well under the ideal maximum. But thank you for your concern. I had 70 birds up there last year with absolutely no issue. Lol

It is either 10x12, or 12x16...can't remember. Either way it is the entire top half of a large garage type building. The bottom portion is a full garage with 2 smaller attached buildings.the top part belongs to the chickens. I think your space requirements are a little skewed. Even if I went with 2 or 3 ft per bird...but all year long they are outside all day. We have 4 acres they range on. Space is of no concern here. Lol of this I'm sure.

She looks like a hen. She's just the top hen. Sometimes chicks even play fight and chase each other. But she is definetly not playing, just letting the others know who's the boss of the coop. Just make sure she dosnt cause the others to bleed. If she does, separate them temporarily. Our top hen is quite aggressive at timesbut dosnt cause the others to bleed. I know it can be disturbing to watch, and sometimes you swear she is just being down right mean and a bully but it's what top hens do.

Back
Top Bottom