Is this Ok to do? Or will it harm the chickens

Crazy4GameCocks

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Did you know if you feed Cayenne Pepper and cooked rice to your hens twice a month buy the 2ed time you will have eggs It worked I did it to mine and now they are laying

Last edited:
hey sis - i have never tried it - how long ago did you give it to them for the first time ? which hens did you give it to ? do the eggs taste any different with that pepper ? i do know that if you feed certain things to your hens it makes the eggs taste funny

good luck - i am sure someone will come along and tell you if it is a good idea or not

Julie

Cayenne will not hurt them and like all peppers it is a great concentrated vitamin source. That is the reason cultures in the tropics use so many peppers. Too much of it and there may be a taste in the eggs. But only if fed in quantity.

My grandfather, God rest his soul, raised chickens for years. Then my mother..and now me. Grandpa said..
old.gif
" When your spring hens start to moult, and egg production goes down, heres what ya do. Get a 5 gallon bucket of whole corn. Put in ONE large can of Cayenne pepper...and add warm water...just to the top of the corn. Let it set over night..to "pop" the corn open. Feed this to your hens, and they will start laying in a few days. Its called " Burning the moult" "I havent tried it...my girls lay well enough for me! But I do remember my mother doing this when I was a kid..OHHhhhhh the eggs we had....couldnt get rid of them fast enough. She would have us load dozens and dozens of eggs in our little red wagons, and go up and down the road, selling them. Glad she only tried this ONE time!
lau.gif

I have never tried the rice ... But my PawPaw told us to use the cayenne pepper when our hens were not laying verry good. It is something about "heating" up their insides... It WORKS!!!! We put in it a 2 lb. bag of cornmeal , used 2 bottles of pepper (2/1.00 at wal-mart) and within a few days they were laying better and it does not change the taste of the eggs at all however we did notice that the yellows were a darker color for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom