Is this one way to tell if it's a rooster?

KathyJB

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2012
I hatched out 2 Lavender Orpington eggs. I'm pretty sure one is a hen in the making, they are about 4 months old? Anyway, I have them in with my Black Copper Marans coop, and they generally get along except for one of the LO's. They chase it away. I think they can't tell them apart either, lol. The one LO I think is a hen will bow up to the BCM's hens, but the other one they chase away. I'm thinking they either don't like it because it's a rooster, it has a blackish comb, or it's a fraidy chick and runs away. Has anyone ever seen something like this?

If the other roo's are bullying it. It's very possible it's a cockerel. I look at the comb mostly. A roo's comb is always a darker red after a few months, where a pullet will not get a red comb until they're about to lay. They comb is always more pale or lite pink. The personality tells a lot also. And my favorite is feather sexing at about 5 days old. This is done very easily, but only at 3 to 7 days.

Chickens are weird, that pecking order is a crazy thing. Roosters tend to try to be on the top of the order. Does any of the ones in question stay to the front of the pack? My Roo's were always the first to check who's approaching. That how I knew who were roo's.

Personality is not a great way to determine gender in chicks. Both hens and roosters can be frightened, and both can be fiesty. I suggest posting a photo. We may be able to help determine whether you do actually have a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom