Is this poo or related to mite infestation?

britsngrits

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
WV
Sorry to be gross... but my rooster seems to be the only one infected with a nasty case of mites. I feel awful that it was so bad and I didn't realize. He just doesn't like to be held and none of the other ones have them. Anyway... Yesterday I got poultry dusting power for him and tonight I cheked him and didn't see any active buggies. However his skin is still very red and there are clumps of junk around his junk... well vent! I tried soaking him to see if it would just soak off but it didn't. I am unsure if it is safe to cut it away... anyone know? Do I have to put the powder on him again? His skin is so angry looking I'm sure it hurts. Is it ok to put something like bluekote on it and will that sooth the irritation? Attached pic
82975_img_5712.jpg

Only thing I know to melt off the egg casings is unrefined coconut oil. Worked on mine. I couldn't stand the thought of them on them either. You may do a search on here. Someone else used something else that worked but I already had the coconut oil so I used it.
sharon

Poor thing! I'd deal with the eggs first, because once you Blu-Kote his skin those darned egg casings will blend right in. I agree that it looks like those are lice casings more than mites, but ... well, that's all I'll say because it's Friday the 13th and I don't want to jinx myself! I wouldn't cut them away; what the buggies use to stick to the shafts of feathers (and hair, which is another story for the Young Boys with Shaggy Hair forum) is amazingly strong, and the residue will stay on the shaft. The powder will dessicate the casings, but I'm with the PP who said try coconut oil or Skin So Soft. It can't hurt and, at the very least, his feathers will be luxuriously soft! Poor little roo. But once they are off, definitely spray him with Blu-Kote. That'll help with the redness, it'll prevent infection and will keep any fungi from visiting as well. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I only had the dust on for over 24 hours is that long enough? His skin just looked so irritated that I couldn't stand to leave it on longer. I'm sure the chemicals don't make it feel any better!

I'm no expert, but I'm dealing with lice in my flock too. Type in Eprinex in the search and see if it's something you might like. My birds had skin so irritated, I liked the idea of keeping the powder off the skin and out of my lungs. Can't say it's worked yet as I only put in on them a couple of days ago, but I'm hopeful! Here's my post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=500357

Last edited:
We use ivermectin pour on for cattle - it has completely eradicated the louse population in our flock. Worked like a charm, and we have some Orps that were really battling them.

I'd douse him up with some vitamin E oil or any all natural, unscented body oil (narrows the list down - vit E works best). You can also just get some fish oil capsules, break them open and put those on there.

Do that and the ivermectin (1/2cc on his skin somewhere - we do on the back or under the wing) and repeat in about a week. Kill all the little b*stards!

Back
Top Bottom