Is this poultry lice?

Thank you all for the advice. We've had rainy weather all week, so I haven't treated for the lice yet. On the bright side that has given me an opportunity to check some other hens. I think we have mites, too!?! How big are mites? The bugs I see are about the size of ground black pepper. When I lift the hens off the eggs at night, I can see the bugs crawling on the eggs and birds. Does that sound like mites?

Thank you all for the advice. We've had rainy weather all week, so I haven't treated for the lice yet. On the bright side that has given me an opportunity to check some other hens. I think we have mites, too!?! How big are mites? The bugs I see are about the size of ground black pepper. When I lift the hens off the eggs at night, I can see the bugs crawling on the eggs and birds. Does that sound like mites?
You need to start treatment ASAP.
Mites and lice can kill.
You need to treat every bird and the coop at the same time.
Weekly for no less than 3 weeks.
Spray everyone and everything. No need to remove the birds you need to treat them too.

All my mites have been white and red
Hmmm. I suppose these could be red, but I think they're black or brown. They're so tiny I'm not sure. Had I not seen them crawling on the eggs, I wouldn't have realized they were insects.
You need to start treatment ASAP.
Mites and lice can kill.
You need to treat every bird and the coop at the same time.
Weekly for no less than 3 weeks.
Spray everyone and everything. No need to remove the birds you need to treat them too.
I've read that Elector PSP doesn't require weekly treatment for mites. Since mites seem to be the biggest issue, should I treat with it first and then use the other stuff for lice? I've only seen a few lice but the mites, assuming that is what they are, were everywhere tonight. I even found a few crawling on my hands after lifting a hen up off the eggs! Honestly, I'm not sure how I haven't seen them sooner there were so many. Maybe it is because I rarely check on the hens at night and I'm up close with them since 5 are now broody.

Hmmm. I suppose these could be red, but I think they're black or brown. They're so tiny I'm not sure. Had I not seen them crawling on the eggs, I wouldn't have realized they were insects.

I've read that Elector PSP doesn't require weekly treatment for mites. Since mites seem to be the biggest issue, should I treat with it first and then use the other stuff for lice? I've only seen a few lice but the mites, assuming that is what they are, were everywhere tonight. I even found a few crawling on my hands after lifting a hen up off the eggs! Honestly, I'm not sure how I haven't seen them sooner there were so many. Maybe it is because I rarely check on the hens at night and I'm up close with them since 5 are now broody.
If you read their fact sheet for Elector PSP it says that repeat treatments may be needed. Permethrin works and is a lot less expensive.

This is for Elector PSP
ElectorPSP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom