Is this Silkie a Lady or Roo?

gaeamama

Songster
12 Years
Jun 17, 2007
WMass.
I have an approx. 5mo. old black silkie, who I've been thinking is a girl based on her mannerisms, but am watching the crest grow in and I'm wondering....
S/he is so timid and gentle and more friendly than other silkies I've had.
I'd love any guesses on whether you think it's looking like a pullet or roo, and why.
Thanks so much!

I say girl.. She looks just like my hens.
smile.png

Certainly NOT a girl. I can clearly see streamers off the crest, and in my opinion, it is rare for a black silkie female to ever show hackle colors...and yours definetly has silver in his hackles.

No there really is no silver. It's the way the sunlight and camera flash are hitting the feathers...it's definitely all black... the underfluff is grey-ish, but the feathers are all black.
I'm questioning those streamer-looking ones too, and wondering if it's the way they're growing in and it'll settle down. I see none of those around the tail. And again, the behavior of this one is so very gentle it's amazing!

just a couple more, hopefully to see the different light. My camera's just not a great one and it's all I got.

The suspect streamers:

This shot gives a blue tint to the feathers,
idunno.gif

S/he regularly turns her head all the way around, 180*. Do any of yours do that? I've never noticed it before on others. This shot isn't even as far as it'll go.

I really appreciate all the opinions. I know it's just so hard to tell these things, so having others take a look helps me learn what to look for and either confirm or deny my suspicions.

Back
Top Bottom