is this stealing? should i put free range hen into my coop?

chicknadventure

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
southeast
Long story short....my neighbors live on an acre. There is a stand of trees between them and another neighbor who free ranges their flock oegb's. The birds have no coop. They wander all the time. One of the roos and his 2 girls frequently bawk and sqwack cock a doodle doo at all hours in my friends front yard, under her iwndow, etc.

The hens have been laying eggs in a fountain in their front yard so they had been gathering eggs. I told them to stop takinf eggs and see what happens. Well one of the girls went broody and started sitting on the eggs. She has been there overe a week. Exposed to predators.

Would it be stealing if i took her home with me and added her to my flock? What if i only took the babies? I figure if you let your animals roam like that you are risking them anyway.

Am i wrong? I am fully prepared to hear that i am wrong and wont do anything but i am curious what people think. Oh and they dont ever speak to the neigh oe. He is obciously not going to pen his birds since this has been happktening for years.

I think its the neighbors (friends) that are the ones that should talk to the chicken owners. I also think that taking the chickens and putting them in your coop knowing where they actually live IS stealing,
However there is no harm in asking them if they want the chicken if not could you have it?? Simple as that, If they want to keep the chickens and not provide a coop or shelter for them get the law involved and have them advise them of the rules. Other than that I don't know what to say.
smile.png

Last edited:
First off, I would call Animal Control or the SPCA. The broody hen is definately in danger and there are laws to protect neglected animals. Use the system.

Second, offer to adopt the birds seized by animal control or the SPCA. That is perfectly above-board and a legitimate thing to do. Do not however take so much as an eggshell on your own. Let the proper authorities handle the situation. That's why they're there.

Although Humane Societies have their place, personally, I would never involve the HS/Animal Control unless I did not know who the animals belonged to. You have no idea if they will even place the animals up for adoption--they could euthanize them once the grace period to find the owners is up. Not all HS/AC are user-friendly. There may not even be one where the OP lives-rural areas are many times serviced by the Sheriff and the last thing they want to do is deal with broody chickens. IMHO its best just to man up and go over and talk to the neighbors, make friends and offer to help them out with the chicken. Why have we become so isolated from each other that we feel compelled to have a third party intervene when we should be able to have a conversation with a neighbor (rhetorical question, no need to answer).

Unless something has already been said to this neighbor, something should be. Animals don't have a voice, and sometimes concerned humans have to speak for them. As someone above posted, give fair warning. It's possible the owner is oblivious but not awful. He may have grown up somewhere where everyone let their birds run all around. I think bringing it to his attention in the form of, "I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but your birds have been frequenting my parents' property. Now one's gone broody and is vulnerable to predators. I'm sure you want her safe. Do you need help moving her?" and then, "if you don't have coop space to keep her safe, I will try to make room in mine. But I get attached quickly to hens, so this arrangement would be permanent. What do you want to do?" That's how I'd handle it. Give him a chance to do the right thing without losing face, but make sure the bird family is safe. If he's a jerk and says it's none of your business, that's a new situation.

Give the neighbors fair warning first. Tell them that if the birds wander onto your property, you will be keeping them. Plain and simple With that heads up, they need to do what is right. Unless there is an understanding and full agreement, folks do not have a right to allow their livestock to wander beyond their own property borders. This is common sense and common courtesy, yet how common is it these days, eh? This is a very old story, throughout human history.

The occasional "lost" animal is always returned. The careless, reckless owner's animals wind up dead or missing, sadly.

Last edited:
I'm not quite certain but I think you are saying the birds are not coming onto your property. So your question is do you have the right to walk onto someone else's land and take their birds?
Wow, good catch.
goodpost.gif

Is this what you're asking? Going onto the neighbor's property and taking a chicken? Some clarity would be helpful in giving guidance.

You're talking about going onto someone else's propertyk your friend's, and taking a bird that you know for a fact belongs to a third party, your neighbor. Do I have that right. You really have to ask if that's "stealing"? Of course it is. What else could taking something that you absolutely know belongs to someone else possibly be? If the neighbor you are friends with doesn't care about the other neighbor's birds wandering onto their property how is it any business of yours? If you want the bird that badly go to the known owner & offer to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom