Is This Too Many Eggs for a Single Broody Hen?

billygoat162

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2016
American Southwest
I got a box of Australorp eggs in the mail today to slip under my broody, and the seller was nice and included a few extra. Only now I have 15 eggs and one broody hen! She's a Welsummer, but a bit small for her breed. I gave her all 15 to see what she would do. I came back a few minutes later and found her like this. Should I take a few away? I don't know what to do with the rest, but I don't want to risk all of them not hatching from her moving them around.

Last edited:
She has that momma death glare going on.....

Haha, she definitely does. She did not like me being near her eggs (the eggs I just gave her!). The funny thing is though, she won't peck me. She will peck the other hens but not me. I was able to feel behind her and the tips of the eggs are just barely sticking out in back too. I know they rotate their eggs, but I don't know if they move them around so different eggs will be near the outside edge at different times.

I had a small game hen sit on about 16 eggs once and she hatched them all ! I thought it was too much for her but she would NOT let me take any away haha

Back
Top Bottom