Isa brown egg progression

HennaPenHollyPol

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Indianapolis indiana
Hi all,
I have a 2.5 year old isa brown that will still lay 5 days a week. About once a week she will lay what I call a rubber egg. It will usually crack inside and she will have the white first followed by the collapsed egg shell. Is this a normal progression for her breed of bird? Also, the good eggs she lays are very light brown. She was my first chicken so I have not a clue if this is normal.

I have no experience myself with laying hybrids like isa brown. But I know they often get a laying disorder after 2-5 years and often don’t get old bc of that. (Lots of reading).

Has this chicken firm egg shells the 4 other days of the week? No? Then she probably needs more Calcium in her diet. If she weekly lays soft shells but the others are strong 💪 she might have some kind of problem in her egg production. I don’t think you can do much about it. Sometimes a laying problem dissolves after a molt / a period of not laying at all.

You can always give some oyster shells or crushed egg shells on the side.

I have no experience myself with laying hybrids like isa brown. But I know they often get a laying disorder after 2-5 years and often don’t get old bc of that. (Lots of reading).

Has this chicken firm egg shells the 4 other days of the week? No? Then she probably needs more Calcium in her diet. If she weekly lays soft shells but the others are strong 💪 she might have some kind of problem in her egg production. I don’t think you can do much about it. Sometimes a laying problem dissolves after a molt / a period of not laying at all.

You can always give some oyster shells or crushed egg shells on the side.
I don't think its a diet thing. I believe it must be from her being a prolific layer unfortunately. Thanks for the insight!

Not normal.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do you have other ISA's and are thy having any issues?
Are the 'good' egg shells very thick and hard??
I feed layer feed from rural king. I had another isa brown that passed recently from ascites. She had laying issues for about a month before passing. Other than the color of the egg shell, they are normal. Hard shells, taste and contents are perfect.

I have 2 ISA browns they are my best layers. One of them lays a soft egg periodically too. Most time she's fine, but the day before she lays these goofy eggs she is lethargic and secluded. I do offer oyster shell a the time on run

Back
Top Bottom