Isn't it too early?

farmerlor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 25, 2008
middle of nowhere Colorado
This is the second day we've found an egg in the Bourbon pen. Isn't it like WAY too early for them to be laying and if they are going to be laying what are the chances that it's fertile? The ones who are laying are the girls from this year's hatch and it's BLOODY cold out there so I'm thinking they're just really, really confused but if anyone thinks I should be keeping these eggs to incubate please clue me in here.

One of mine laid and went broody late this fall. I think spring is the usual laying season but off season laying happens from time to time. I have poults hatching from that broody's clutch right now as a matter of fact (moved them to the bator after she was attacked off her nest.) If your birds have been mating your eggs should be fertile. Whether or not you should save them for incubation depends on whether or not you want to deal with winter poults.

My Midget Whites are laying and I have a dozen in the bator that I just checked and are forming nicely. And they are still laying. This is the 3rd time for them this year.
idunno.gif

Oooooh, I just got an unusual looking egg and by process of elimination I think it's from one of my Bourbon Red hens who's about 7 months old. I couldn't get home until after dark yesterday and the turkeys were shut out of their usual roosting spot in the chicken pen, so they "went to bed" on top of a doghouse in the duck pen. Nobody ever lays egg on top, and no reason why I would have set a lone egg there and forgotten about it. I guess the turkey either didn't know she was supposed to find a nest or else the ducks wouldn't let her in either of THEIR houses to do her thing.

I'm totally new to turkeys-only had mine for a few weeks. I would have expected bigger eggs, but it's about the size of a chicken egg, light brown with speckles and VERY pointy on one side. Sound like a BR? How are the eggs for eating or baking? I'm so egg-cited, but it sounds like it might have been a fluke and that I shouldn't hope for any more any time soon.

Yep, sounds like a turkey egg. Being that she's young and it's one of her first it's a "pullet" egg which is why it's only the size of a chicken egg. They will get bigger, just as chicken eggs do, as she ages and lays more.

farmerlor, I hope she lays early and so do your midget whites so maybe I could get some eggs from you to try in my new incubator
tongue.png
I am dying for some turkey eggs to try in it!

Okay I have a problem my turkies decided today to lay multiple eggs. I saw them last week sharing turkey love. So now I have the end product. should I let her go broody or collect and put them in the bator. Is bators are full at the moment.

I just found 2 large nests of turkey eggs. One has several eggs and the narragansett is trying to set on them. The other has about a dozen eggs and I caught a midget white laying in there. I have burbon red, blue slates, narragansett, and midget white. I find it very odd that they are laying this time of year. These were all hatched this year. Of course we did have some very warm weather 80's but now it is in the 30's at night. I have not seen any of the turkeys breed so I'm not sure if any have fertility. These are all free range turkeys but of course I feed them. Should I just gather the eggs or try and incubate some of them?

Back
Top Bottom