Isolating A Bully Hen?

btruegs

Chirping
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Spokane WA
Hey Guys,

I have rescued a dutch bantam hen from my grandma that her other chickens just couldn't get along with. I have 4 original hens, 3 of which are doing just fine with her. My fourth and smallest original is being a "bully" and won't stop attacking her. I have 1 coop, which is in a fenced 15x12 foot pen back by the garden. Do i need to build a second smaller coop to isolate the bully?

Thanks!

P.S.
I don't know if this is important, but my four original hens are different breeds than the dutch bantam rescue. 1 new hampshire red( ring leader), and 3 black australorps.

Did you put the new hen straight in with the flock? If so, that's an issue... Best to separate her in a run where she sees them, and they see her, every day, for at least a week before making introductions.

Best wishes.

Did you put the new hen straight in with the flock? If so, that's an issue... Best to separate her in a run where she sees them, and they see her, every day, for at least a week before making introductions.

Best wishes.
I made a small pen made from scrap chicken wire in the run area, which only lasted a few hours cause she kept getting out. But it's only the smaller hen bothering her.

Fair enough. There's a good chance things would have gone more peacefully if the week's separation 'rule of thumb' had been observed. But your girls, overall, don't sound like a vicious lot. Perhaps putting the bully into a separate coop for two days would change her mind.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom