Isolation location for a bully--Two different advice --near clearing up

Ok we can't even do option #2 so option 1 is what we are doing due to lack of another location out of sight. Garage is way too hot. No other coops sadly. How long for her to stay in her crate to reform her? is it possible to reform a bully in short time frame? TIA

If it is a cockerel, and that is looking likely, it is normal behavior for the rooster to be a bit rough at first with his clumsy advances on the hens. Usually they do little more than pull some neck feathers out. It looks rough but so it is with chickens! I try to provide at least 6 or 8 hens for a good young cock to spread the "attacks" around more and ease the strain on them all. I have had fine old roosters that was bold and forceful but never injured a hen with just 3 or 4 hens. They are all a bit different and a lot the same! I hope it works out for you! I would give the boy some time and maybe, separate him in a divided run and private roost area until he settles down a bit with maturity, if you can't accept his "roughness" now. At about 24 weeks the young rooster would be a good meal, if you are so inclined. Keep him! Make babies! Replacements raised at home!

Back
Top Bottom