It appears I have become a hen!

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
Okay, I have read the threads on here that say don't try to tame a cockerel - you'll be sorry when he grows up!

Well, here's the story of George of the Jungle.

This is the guy in my avatar. He is not the smartest rooster in the flock, not even close. I remember the day when he was a youngster and we had a bad rainstorm come up. Being the good chicken-mama I am, I ran out into the rain to round up all the young chickens and put them into the grow-out pen. After searching and calling, I found George, staring up at the sky. If he had tilted his head any further up and opened his mouth, he would have drowned!

Anyway, he loved to sit on my lap. He would stretch his neck out over my arm and go to sleep. I saved him the best treats, of course, since he was such a sweetheart!

Fast-forward ... hormones kicked in. George started nipping at me whenever I went outside. Pretty annoying! I would then pick him up and hold him like a baby for a while, then put him down and he would bwak bwak his displeasure and go his merry way, only to try again the next time. I'm thinking, I have created a monster! He never tried to flog me, though, just a nip here and there.

Now he's all man. He stopped the nipping a few weeks ago. He is always hanging out near the front door waiting for me to make an appearance. As soon as I come outside, he will call me over to show me some treat he has found just for me. Sometimes he will squat and do his man thing on the ground next to me ( I guess that's as close as he can figure out how to mount me). He is my constant companion outside, always within 5 feet of me. He pretends he does not want to be held (it just isn't manly), but if I pick him up and sit with him, he will again settle down on my lap for as long as I let him, talking to me as I pet him.

This guy has definitely won a place in my heart. We will see how he progresses into his newly found manhood. I will have to rehome him eventually - I have too many roosters already, but part of my heart will be going with him.

You are the man, George!

I had another favorite - a dark Brahma I named Glory. He was another extremely tame guy, and I still miss him. He used to sit next to me on the swing out on the front porch. I took him to a chicken swap. He was wandering around under our tent, and the next thing you know, he was in the lap of the people next to us! Thankfully, they had a good sense of humor about it. It was lunch time and the girl had taken out a sandwich. Glory didn't know he wasn't supposed to get the best part of every sandwich - he just went running over there and started helping her eat! He was bought by a woman who just couldn't believe how sweet he was. I don't think she even had chickens, she just wanted Glory.

I sell my "pet" roosters for $40. That way I know they are going to someone who really wants them, not to be eaten or fought.

I'm in no hurry to sell George. I'm even thinking of rehoming one or two of my established roosters, to make room for him. We'll see what happens. There's another little guy in the brooder who is becoming awfully tame ...

George is adorable!
love.gif
He is definitely a keeper! Great story!!!!

lol Nicely done!

I think a lot of it comes down to genetics, honestly. If you have a rooster who is genuinely aggressive, being sweet to him will be perceived as a sign of weakness--or worse, hostility--on his part, making him meaner. On the other hand, if you have a rooster who's just going through his teenage hormonal phase and is not inherently prone to aggression, being sweet to him can win him over and earn you a friend for life.

I was beginning to worry that I was doing something horribly wrong when it came to how I raised my roosters, because two of our first three were violently aggressive and attacked me constantly. I researched everything I could find on how to mellow out a mean rooster, and none of it was helping. I thought for sure I was just a complete screw up when it came to roosters.... But since the fiascos of Milton and Elvis, we've had many more roosters (at present count, we have 11), and they have all been gentlemen. I've come to the conclusion that Milton and Elvis were flukes--the result of hatchery stock that didn't weed out mean roos before breeding and thus bred an aggressive quality into future generations.

I'm going to have to sell some "$40 roosters" soon myself, although the highest I could probably get for them around here would be $15. Still high enough to discourage anyone from eating them, though, especially since they're bantams!

Well, you have to have that "wow factor" to get $40. It helps that my guys are massive, ranging 14 to 16 pounds when grown. Also, I have found Brahmas to be very easy-going, even when they aren't tame pets.

My first Brahma boy, Rocky, used to flog us when one of us would turn our back on him. I swear, he was never aggressive, it was just a game to him. He never spurred us or drew blood, and if we turned around and looked at him, he would stop short and you could almost hear him say, "well, shucks, ma'am, I wasn't really going to do anything." We still have him at almost 8 years old, although a stroke last year (and a major beating from his own son) left him with a permanent limp. He still seems to be happy, although no more flogging.

The area I live in is very rural and very economically depressed. The available market of people to sell roosters to is extremely limited to begin with, so I doubt I'd be able to get much even for a truly exceptional rooster. If I start breeding rarer varieties like ameraucanas and black copper marans like I'm planning too, then I'll be able to ask more, I think. :)

Brahmas are one of the breeds on my wish-list, but there a little ways down the list so it will be a while before I get them, I think....

Unless I win the lottery. If I win the lottery, I'll have Brahmas within the week XD

Back
Top Bottom