It happened again- rescue idea?

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hey y'all! So it happened again... I walked into a feed store (this time it was TSC) for something completely not chick related and happened to see dying baby chicks... this is how I got into chickens... and how 30% of my flock expanded. 🤦‍♀️

I'm not sure if these little guys will make it, but the whole fiasco got me thinking- what if I were to start up a formal chick rescue?

Pretty much, it would work like this:
Sick, lethargic, possibly deformed chicks, or poultry found at the feed store would be taken in and nurtured/healed (if possible) and around 5-8wks (or whenever they're better and are fully feathered) they would be rehomed? There would be a very reasonable "adoption fee" and a document that would need to be signed saying the bird is not intended for stew-pot use. Also some requirements of current or planned coop set up to ensure they're able to properly care for the chick/bird(s). There would be a website where people could browse available/adoptable birds as well as a mini bio on each.

I know this might seem like a silly idea to do on a semi-large scale, but I can’t bear to leave them once I see them... the guilt literally eats away at me. But I can’t have 40 chickens, 80 quail or 70 ducks either! (I do NOT have that many to be clear- this was in hyperbole). It was just an idea that struck me on the way home

Any thoughts or tips would be amazing and well appreciated. I've done animal rescue for several years, but majority of those rescues are either released or "rehomed" with us :oops:

I think that is a good idea and it sounds you already have a good plan how to do it. I am sure people are interested in young chickens and should not be to hard to re home.

I love this. The only thing I enjoy about my local TSC is one of the workers known as THE crazy chicken lady does this. She had 50 last time I talked to her. If the workers at your TSC are aware of you, they'll steer people looking for "started pullet's or roo's," to you and for sure you can charge around $20. Hopefully that would cover your cost for BEING AWESOME. 💛 :clap

It sounds like a great plan!
I dont think finding homes would be a problem!
A friend yesterday went into our local feed store and bough 70+chicks and ducks. To help them, almost half the chicks have pasty butt. But she didnt want to leave them to die.

I love this. The only thing I enjoy about my local TSC is one of the workers known as THE crazy chicken lady does this. She had 50 last time I talked to her. If the workers at your TSC are aware of you, they'll steer people looking for "started pullet's or roo's," to you and for sure you can charge around $20. Hopefully that would cover your cost for BEING AWESOME. 💛 :clap
Ooooh! That's awesome! There's an employee at another pet/feed store we go to who's figured out we do rescue... we've gotten sick chicks, a duckling, budgies quail and a mouse from them! (Yes, a mouse.)

It would be amazing if this idea actually takes off since it means I can continue to help animals without giving my mother apaplexy everytime I bring home some poor creature 😂

It sounds like a great plan!
I dont think finding homes would be a problem!
A friend yesterday went into our local feed store and bough 70+chicks and ducks. To help them, almost half the chicks have pasty butt. But she didnt want to leave them to die.
Thank you! And good on your friend! God bless her for doing that. Hopefully they all do well!

Thank you! And good on your friend! God bless her for doing that. Hopefully they all do well!
She said as of today all the chicks were still healthy and most of the pasty butt had gotten took care of last night or early this morning.
A few chicks might not make it though, they have severe pasty butt and i feel so bad

My hat is off to you! My dear husband doesn't understand the huge favor I do for him by not going to tractor supply during chick season. I too would be coming home with the sick or runts 😬
Aww! It's so hard not to when you see them sick... and most employees either don't know how to help them or are unable to. We usually avoid going to feedstores when there’s chicks, but our adult chickens still have to eat lol

Back
Top Bottom