It's a sad day when you have to buy store bought eggs!

Chicky Joy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
I bought my first dozen store eggs yesterday, since July of '08. Our production is down. I'm working on getting it back up with tips from another thread. In the meantime we have an order for two dozen eggs that are already paid for and only had 10 of our own eggs as of last night. So, sad as it is, the store eggs are for us to eat. I had one this morning and it was icky. Now I truly realize why people are crazy about our fresh eggs. We always get rave reviews but I'd gotten so accustomed to the good fresh eggs that I'd forgotten how different the taste really is. I really did have a hard time picking that carton out of the cooler at the store. I do believe that once this egg order is filled I won't be selling any more until our production goes back up. I know DH won't be eating any of the store eggs unless they are hidden in baked goods.

Yeah I had to break down and buy eggs over Thanksgiving to use in all the baking I did. I was grumbling to myself the whole time "25 hens and about 3 eggs....". There were several that were molting but it's picking back up.

For the first time, I finally haven't had to buy eggs for the last month! It's so nice to be able to open the carton and think, "no just a snack, I'll have a banty egg this afternoon." or "boy I'm hungry, 3 BO omlet her I come!"

I was just looking at eggs today knowing soon I will have to buy.I was suprised to see that they were going for $1.14,and this is at a cheap store!

That's OK. There were times because of poor planning I had to buy store milk even though I had two milk cows and several milk goats. Managed to get them all dry at once.

I think we'll go eggless before I buy eggs to eat again.

Might use some for baking, but I can't look a store bought egg omlet in the eye anymore. DH says that our eggs are waaay better, but somehow still manages to order "omlets" at IHOP.
sickbyc.gif
His mom is the same way, she takes eggs from us and buys from the store (they eat a LOT of eggs) I just don't see how they do it. Maybe it's because they're smokers and they have no taste buds left??
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom