its a scary world out there.

oldcluck

Chirping
8 Years
May 16, 2011
About 30 yrs ago i raised a lot of chickens, ducks. geese etc. etc.
After a sojourn in the city I am once again in the country and able to raise a few chickens.
I don't remember chickens being this stupid though.
I have 15 Dominique chicks about 5 weeks old. Last week i opened up access to their run. They have been too afraid to go out. If i chase them out they return to the coop as soon as I allow them access to it. Seems they would rather set and pant in a hot coop than enter a shaded run. Is it because the the run's entrance is a small pop hole with a ramp instead of a larger door? I never used a pop hole/ramp back in the day as things were on a larger scale back in the day.

It just takes them a bit to work up the nerve to try something new.
I have had my pop door open for 3 days and today was the first day they went out. I never chase them out, just let them take their time. Mine have been locked in a rather dark-ish coop (artificial light) and I imagine the brightness, breeze, new sights and sounds are just a lot to take in. I would think if they were raised by their mama, they would follow her right out.
Here's what I do. When time comes to open the pop door, I start by putting treats on the doorway. Then the next day, I put some freshly snipped clover or something yummy on the first step of the ramp...and then a little further down the next day. Like I said, today was day three and those little buggers were running around like crazy chickens in their run
wee.gif

Just give them a little time. They will find their way
smile.png

Welcome back to the 'farm'!

In my limited experience, if you have one brave or adventurous soul in the flock, then things happen quicker.

On the other hand, if they're all 'chickens' . . .

Well, you know what I mean.

cool.png

We have a couple of bold and feisty pullets that have that Star Trek thang goin' on: to boldly go where others have never scratched. Or something like that.

Wherever they go, the rest of the girls follow along.

One of my girls likes to fly the expanded run areas fence (They have the main run and then a chicken wire fence that we move around) and hang out with the horses.
She's the crazy one in my group. I think every group has one. Your girls will get there!

oldcluck,
I will venture to say your dominique chicks of today are different from those of 30 years ago. My hatchery strain doms worship the feeder and their show quality brethren are not much better.

Back
Top Bottom