Its me again! Two questions in one... Is this normal gosling behavior and will they forget me?

Aty439318

Chirping
Apr 27, 2023
Hello!

Probably this has been asked before, but here we go! My goslings everytime I reach into their brooder start running like crazy. Funny things is, when I speak to them they "speak" to me back as if they recognize me. Once I take them out of the brooder to go out on our little excursions they calm down and follow me everywhere. Is as if they are not afraid anymore. Is this normal gosling behavior? I'm confused. I do spend a lot time with them cuddling and speaking to them. Which takes me to my other question. In a few weeks I'll be flying out to MA. Will my goslings forget about me? I'll be gone for a week. I was even thinking about cancelling the trip, but my great-grandmother is really looking forward to my visit.

Hello!

Probably this has been asked before, but here we go! My goslings everytime I reach into their brooder start running like crazy. Funny things is, when I speak to them they "speak" to me back as if they recognize me. Once I take them out of the brooder to go out on our little excursions they calm down and follow me everywhere. Is as if they are not afraid anymore. Is this normal gosling behavior? I'm confused. I do spend a lot time with them cuddling and speaking to them. Which takes me to my other question. In a few weeks I'll be flying out to MA. Will my goslings forget about me? I'll be gone for a week. I was even thinking about cancelling the trip, but my great-grandmother is really looking forward to my visit.
Geese are like elephants, they never forget

Hello!

Normal behavior, goslings get scared by hands reaching towards them. Scooping them up slowly from below is less scary.

They might be startled with you suddenly appearing after being absent for a week, but they’ll still remember you.

Total normal behavior. Geese are prey birds and they know it from hatch. I start my babies in a box brooder where they can see me "eye to eye" there on my level on a table. Then I move them to the floor brooder no longer am I on there understanding trust level. Im now the predator. Its ok and good its built into them. Then I pick them up and put them on my lap all good to them let them chase me still all good. Geese are incredible they know it from birth. Look big, stand tall, be protective, love family, so there just doing what they were born to do. Sounds like you still mama goose.

**Update**

Just as you guys said as soon as I got back from MA I got home and called my babies and they all came running. I was so excited! I’ve added a few pics of us hanging around a couple days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpeg
    IMG_5431.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5427.jpeg
    IMG_5427.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5419.jpeg
    IMG_5419.jpeg