It's REALLY COLD!! Should I check them again before morning?

Oh ho ho! Wireless camera....Don't know if I can afford that right now, but...hm...Christmas LIST! EXCELLENT! Along with chicken diapers....so they can come inside and live with me. Good idea.....One of those ceramic heating doohickies....and some more plexiglass and insulation...shavings.....automatic waterer...masseuse....new roo...more chickens...
D.gif

Doctor Goose, if you buy ENOUGH diapers, you wont need any of that other stuff! Think of the money you'll save. Oh, btw, how much are chicken diapers? Ya never know when you might nee some!! LOL

How far do those wireless heat sensors work? I assume if they are close enough together, you can have it in the chicken coop, and the part you read in the house? But how far is that?

I have on of those wireless temp sensors, just those inexpensive ones that are designed to tell you the outside temp from inside, mine works great; I put mine on the side of my coop and honestly I'm a little jealous as there coop has been warmer than were the inside receiver is by the kitchen window!! It got down in the mid-teen's earlier this week and it was 68 degrees in their house while it was 66 inside at the kitchen window (time to consider replacing the old non-energy efficient windows!!!). I wasn't aware of just how much heat they make themselves and during the day when they are out in the run, the temp inside their coop drops a lot!

My flock is just 7 hens, the new coop is small about 4' x 6' but with 2x4 framing including it's fiberglass insulated. I use a red light radiant light/heater too which they just love which I just started using when the temps started getting in to the teens!

On distance for the sensors, it depends on the area, mine sit's about 75 feet apart but I have taken the indoor receiver to different parts of the house which has been in excess of 100 feet and it still worked, fresh new batteries make a difference too. Mine is the Nextecc brand and they state 30 meters which is about 100 feet but I suspect one can find a higher priced ones that have a longer range.

[just added]
I looked and found one with a 300 meter range, Oregon Scientific BAR898HGA-JD (John Deer edition!!!) At 300 meters, that's a little over a 1000 feet, found it online here for $69 Perfect for chicken coops as it remotely monitors humidity too!!
http://www.weatherconnection.com/pr...-JD&cat=2&subcat=368&sortby=&filtermfg=&page=

Last edited:
Ours sensor is about 150 feet away. as long as you have a good clear line of sight and no other electrical interferance they do great.

ours is also an Oregan scientific brand (I should have held out for the John Deer model) and also measures humidity.

Back
Top Bottom