It's Time?

NewChickener784

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2016
I've had my 8 chicks in my house for 3 weeks, and their space is becoming an issue. I've got the coop ready out in my garage. They're 3 weeks old, will have a heat lamp available. It is going to be high 30s to mid 40s over night for the next week or so. Will they be okay moving them out?

I've moved them out! They acted as if they didn't know what to do with all the space, so cute! Also, I said they'd have one heat lamp, but I found another so they actually have 2 heat lamps on them!

welcome-byc.gif

With a heat lamp they will be fine, especially if the garage is enclosed (and there are no drafts). Make sure you suspend the heat lamp safely to avoid a fire.

The heat lamp will be suspended securely and safely. However, there are some drafts I'm the garage. Should this be cause for concern, even at 3 weeks? Their coop will be pretty structurally sound, and ventilated.

Observe the behavior of the chicks. If they huddle together, it may be too cold. But I doubt you'll have a problem; chicks at three weeks are of course a lot tougher than day old chicks.

Drafts are a problem with baby chicks for the same reason wind chill is a problem to us humans. In both cases, it effectively makes the temperature colder than it actually is, thus draining the body of precious body heat.

As long as the chicks are shielded from direct exposure to the drafts circulating in your garage, they should be fine.

Well, it is built with plywood, the coop I mean, has a lid covering the top, and for ventilation, I have drilled about 6-10 1/2" holes in the sides of it. Like I said, they will have a 250 watt heat lamp to get under as well...

Should I be concerned, now that you all know the specifics? I am just ready to get them
Out of the brooder in my bedroom! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom