I've been here. Have an official Intro

Arelwood

Songster
Feb 13, 2022
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
2022 is my first year of chickens ever! I am a city girl, mostly, but have always wanted to live rurally and have chickens and llamas. I am by no means new to animal keeping though. I have tended horses, other people's poultry (geese, chickens, pheasants, peacocks, ducks), guinea pigs, cats, dogs, birds, fish, rodents (ROVS), lizards, snakes, etc.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Today I have 6 chickens. I was only supposed to have 3, but you know how that math works. I did not initially find all the colors I want....but my local feed store has Polish chicks again this week....might end up with a few more.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 3 Polish - 2 gold laced, and 1 silver laced - and 3 silkies - they appear to be a buff, partridge, and blue (but I know it's too early to say for sure)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

So far the oldest are only 6 weeks. My chicken journey is about 2 months along. I really enjoyed building my coop. I like to work with my hands and really make a project mine. I also love discovering the personalities of each of my chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a Master Gardener, so growing things is a major hobby. I am just now getting into foraging and medicinal plants/fungi.
I also enjoy reading and ballroom dancing, though I don't have a lot of time for either these days.
Home improvement. I do not like being told "you can't" so I do a lot of things myself. Definitely got a few injuries and life lessons that way!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am recently divorced (and a widow) and childfree. I have kinda given up on people at this point. The love of my life is my 13yo Papillion. I also have 2 spoiled housecats. On occasion I foster other animals like guinea pigs, fish, birds, reptiles. You name it- I want to care for it (and probably can)!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Randomly googling to find info about chickens to start my journey. Stayed for the awesome content and community.

Photo is of David (named for Schitt's Creek) at 1 week old. My blue silkie baby. Pretty sure he is a roo, which breaks my heart (cause I can't have any atm). But he is always giving me sassy side-eye.

Attachments

• 20220310_190001.jpg
    20220310_190001.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom