i've got little tiny bugs in my bag of scratch

If it's too much trouble to take it back, if you have DE, just dump a cup or two in the bag, stir it around and close the bag. Or freeze it. They'll all be dead. I'd complain to the store, though. Bugs deplete the nutritional value of feed and ground it to powder.

If it is just a few bugs probably not a problem. That said I would take it back and get better scratch, open the bag before leaving. I would not feed my chickens it because of the bug waste in it. And who knows how old it is, if it is infested.

Good luck,
Imp

Quote:
That was my thought. Yay...extra protein.
big_smile.png

I found one bag like that a couple months ago. I was a little irritated with the store I bought it from, but the chickens didn't seem to care.

It kind of reminded me of a story my old best friend told me from her work. She used to work at the local movie cinemas as a manager. After the rush of people went through, one of her employees came to her in a panick. Apparently their batch of popcorn they were serving had weevils in it. Instead of having a scene straight out of "Stand By Me" (the pie scene anyone??
sickbyc.gif
), she decided to have them clean out the machines and be sure the next batch was bug-free. I asked if she had any complaints, and she said no, apparently people were coming out for seconds. Ew!

One thing is for sure - I ALWAYS check my movie popcorn before I go into the dark for any buggies.
pop.gif

I found a few very small beetles in my feed yesterday. They're just an extra snack for the chickens. If it was an infestation, I definitely wouldn't give it to the chickens, but just a few...no worries.

Back
Top Bottom