I've set some eggs under my broody hen Need advice from members please

HappyChickenMom

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 13, 2009
Oddly enough my Sicilian Buttercup went broody and was sitting on a wooden fake egg for days. She only comes out to poop grab a quick snack and goes right back in. Seeing as I had an opportunity to utilize her God given talents to hatch some eggs, I decided to put some supposedly fertile turkey eggs (6) under her to see if they will hatch. I don't need or want anymore chickens, or ducks and I thought a goose egg would just be too big. She was quite happy as I placed them by moving her wings up as if to say come on on the waters fine. She really is determined and committed. Anyhow she is in the coop with the rest of the flock and they aren't bothering her but I am concerned that when the poults hatch they might be attacked. I know that broody hens don't necessarily become good mothers. My question is should I move her out before they hatch? I think I should wait a few days so they settle. Should I wait until they hatch and see how the others react? I have a brooder but I do not have an incubator so I am worried if I move her she won't go back to sitting on them. Has anyone else had success fostering turkeys with their hens?
Thanks everyone. I really enjoy this community!
tongue.png

Last edited:
It's other hens around her that I would be concerned with. I would let her hatch them and then just keep an eye on her to see how she take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom