Ivomec in water.

Pics

Doctor T

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Missouri
Well, I've run a small experiment with my peafowl and turkeys.

Having read that you could use Ivomec in their drinking water, and also some folks say that it wouldn't work because the Ivomec was oil based, I decided to bite the bullet and try it myself. First, let me add, that I'm sure that giving the fowl the Ivomec directly, either as an injection, or as an oral "drench", would be best, but, my situation makes handling my peafowl difficult, so I would rather not. Anyway, the first thing I did was add about 1/2 cc of Ivomec injectable for cattle, to some tap water to observe what it did. It did not act like an oil, it immediately went into solution! But, it also formed a white precipitate, that settled on the bottom. Hmm,....I wonder if stirring will desolve the precipitate,....voila! Into solution it went!! So,....today my peafowl and turkey are drinking Ivomec spiked water!!
woot.gif

Please weigh in on your experience with Ivomec, and any other thoughts.

I put on a long sleeve shirt and some leather gloves and catch my peas at night while they are on the roost. Quick and easy. I use 1cc and squirt it at the base of the neck because the bird is actually only absorbing 1/2 cc the rest gets on the feathers and runs off. If each bird requires a half cc and you are only giving a half cc in the water then each bird is not getting the correct amount right? Granted it is easier to put in the water so this thread does interest me. Maybe the experts can wiegh in on it
wink.png

Quote:
My peafowl roost 12 foot up!
Sorry for the misunderstanding,....my initial experiment was 1/2 cc in water in a cup, just so I could see what it did. For the peafowl, I put 3cc per gallon,...this still might not be optimal.
idunno.gif

I try it in water years ago....trouble you have it will seperate before they can drink it. You would need to mix it thru out tjhe day.

Reason i place it on the back, now i do handle each bird when i put them in their breeding pens late winter,

Quote:
Thanks Deerman!

That's what I had read. I wonder if they've changed the formulation? I put it in the water this am, just checked to see if there was evidence of settling, and to stir, but can't see any precipitate or settling now. I wormed last month with Safeguard, and definately had to stir often!!

I agree, if I was handling them more, I would definately dose them individually! At this point though, I'm just not set up for it. As I grow, I'm going to incorporate ways to "work" the birds more easily.
barnie.gif

Just to be safe I carry a bucket and pour the treated water back and forth a couple times to keep it mixed. A little bit of work but only for 2 or 3 days so not so bad. I'd be laid out with stress if I had to catch each one to administer. Want to worm them now but with 100 degree heat they're still using their foot baths so waiting for weather to cool down.

I was able to find an invermectin drench for sheep this year that is made to mix with water, so mixes good. I don't mind the other when worming just a few but I use this when I'm worming all my birds (peas, chickens, pheasants - I do this every spring and fall) as I have way too many to catch each one.

I think there are different forms of Ivermectin. The one with oil doesn't mix but seperates but one of the other forms does. I'll post what it is exactly I use later. Have a problem. A day old peachick that needs a companion. If anyone knows where I can get one within a hundred miles of San Antonio please let me know. I don't want to raise one by itself. Thanks.

Quote:
I don't know where you could find a day old peachick.
Could you get a day old turkey from a hatchery to raise with it?

Back
Top Bottom