Jalapenos?

I have several ornamental Jerusalem Cherry pepper plants growing near the house. When the peppers start turning orange the chickens eat every one off the plants. Doesn't seem to bother them. They have been doing this for years.

I also have an abundance of Jalapeno's this year and was thinking about seeing if the chickens would eat them. Maybe I should wait until they turn red!

Birds can't taste or feel capsaicin (which is what makes spicy foods spicy). I don't know whether there are other health issues, but it won't make them suffer.

We give our girls grit and cayenne pepper on their "treats" to go to bed......(into the aviary at night). They slurp up every bit of broccoli, grapes, oats and cut up angel hair spaghetti. (Yay, they're spoiled:))

We gave them whole jalapenos and they didn't touch them.
We cut them up and it was like a gourmet surprise!

I heard that chilli pepper flakes help with egg laying. But IDK if its true. But yes, I gave it to my hens to be safe from worms. I also added some jalapenos too though.
smile.png

Last edited:
My chickens won't touch peppers either. Why don't you freeze them for use later? I use them on pizza, soups, etc. Slice them, remove seeds, place single layer on plate, freeze, then bag up.
cool.png

I know this is a very old thread but I was wondering what the outcome eventually was? I just became the owner of about 15 jalapeño peppers that are starting to get soft and thought the girls might like them. But I was also wondering if it changed the flavor of the eggs?

They woofed them down with no hesitation. But my girls eat pretty much anything healthy including garlic. The only thing I've seen them pick at was Brussels sprouts, but they still ate them. I do feed my chickens fermented organic food. They really don't seem to be as picky as some chickens.:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom