Janoel 12

Good luck on this. I'm watching I have the Janoel that holds 48 and I have started a thread on it.

I'll be interested to see how your hatch goes. That 48 was tempting but my husband doesn't understand chicken math. I have to work up in increments.
1f617.png

While I love raising chicks, I think it's best to do as many as possible and get through the process. It took a bit of convincing with my husband but he agreed!

Plus managing little birds away from big ones is a space issue. We are looking at a 200 egg cabinet, but I'm thinking that building one would be great fun!

While I love raising chicks, I think it's best to do as many as possible and get through the process. It took a bit of convincing with my husband but he agreed!

Plus managing little birds away from big ones is a space issue. We are looking at a 200 egg cabinet, but I'm thinking that building one would be great fun!

I've always wanted the whole "Timmy and Lassie" type of thing. I want mommy chickens raising babies but I didn't plan well for the correct breeds for broodies. I also want to get more land and room for them to roam. Two hundred chicks at once sounds like a space issue too, but fun. I've got an order infor some Black Java eggs. I hope this hatch goes well so I know that the incubator works. I want a good dual purpose that will brood chicks for me. I also enjoy many colors of eggs just for fun. I want my husband to see that they won't just be a drain on the finances. I can sell eggs to pay for feed and put meat in the freezer. Humanely and healthily raised meat. Right now I got more orders for eggs than I can fill.

My Chickies in the eggs are looking good so far. 11 days to go. They are dragging. Enjoy building that bator
1f609.png

Temp stays steady, chicks are developing, but I worry about humidity. Wake up in the mornings and humidity is 15-20% so I add a teaspoon of water and an hour later it is 60%. I try to open the lid intermittently until humidity drops to around 40%. Then if I would leave it alone it would probably stay around that for a while but I worry about it getting too low. Three more days and I'll check the air cell increase. Hoping it'll be okay.

Temp stays steady, chicks are developing, but I worry about humidity. Wake up in the mornings and humidity is 15-20% so I add a teaspoon of water and an hour later it is 60%. I try to open the lid intermittently until humidity drops to around 40%. Then if I would leave it alone it would probably stay around that for a while but I worry about it getting too low. Three more days and I'll check the air cell increase. Hoping it'll be okay.
Maybe a strip of wet sponge or cloth in the bator at night?

I didn't know if that would be better or worse. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight.
You can look at it this way, if it's low at night and a bit elevated during the day, it's going to average out over the incubation period. Not the most optimum circumstances, but better than having all highs or all lows. Once you check the air cells, you'll have a better idea though.

In the morning when you add the small amount of water, are your vents/plugs (not overly familiar with the Janoel) open. Maybe if they stay open during the day and then closed as the humidity goes down during the night, it might help to stabilize a bit/

In the morning when you add the small amount of water, are your vents/plugs (not overly familiar with the Janoel) open. Maybe if they stay open during the day and then closed as the humidity goes down during the night, it might help to stabilize a bit/

It just has one 1cm hole in the top. I'm sure if I plugged it it wouldn't be airtight but I wasn't sure how much air was needed. I may just add a small wet strip of paper towel before bed and see how that goes. I think I worry more for too wet than too dry. Is that right?
The instructions said add 100ml every other day. That would definitely be too wet.

Today is day 14 of my incubation. I candled all the eggs. The masses I see in the eggs have gotten bigger but some seem bigger than others. The air cells have grown but I worry that they were a little small when I first candled on day 8. I did see movement in some of the eggs. The humidity has continued inconsistent. I hope my thermostat and thermometer are accurate. I ordered another little digital thermometer/ hygrometer and it shows my temp lower by a couple of degrees, but since the other two seem to be pretty close I think they are probably more accurate. One thing I have found with this incubator is that while the instructions say it should be set at 38*C, you can set it lower but I don't seem to be able to set it higher. So if the thermostat is a little off on the low side I don't see how it would be possible to warm it up. I marked the air cells and I will mark them again at lockdown and post a pic and I hope someone can tell me if they look big enough for the chicks to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom