January 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
I am still going to try and set some of my eggs. the EE rooster is less shy, and I think I did see some bullseyes.
Just a few and I am also waiting on a couple more eggs to be laid.
Below what I have so far. The blue ones are either bluebell eggers, or NN/EE, the dark green is OE, and the white is spitz. I hope to collect one from my avatar and one from my BCM/frizzle.
44b.PNG

It’s my first attempt raising chicks. What shape works better? Square?
I use a large plastic storage tote with shavings in the bottom. (I cover with paper towels the first couple days and spread feed over it so the chicks have food in their faces constantly to encourage them to eat). The plastic makes it a breeze to clean/sanitize for later hatches.

First chick (#14) hatched today at 6:30 pm!!!! So exciting!!! It is a RIR/production red x SGE cross, mainly yellow down with caramel across the shoulders and on the wings (I think, it's not quite dry yet) The single comb is pressed sideways. Its head is the size of my finger. #14 is cheeping up a storm in between randomly sleeping for 5-10 minutes at a time. 3 other eggs have externally pipped, two in the last few hours, one earlier.

Day 21 is tomorrow. The fun is already starting!!!

First chick (#14) hatched today at 6:30 pm!!!! So exciting!!! It is a RIR/production red x SGE cross, mainly yellow down with caramel across the shoulders and on the wings (I think, it's not quite dry yet) The single comb is pressed sideways. Its head is the size of my finger. #14 is cheeping up a storm in between randomly sleeping for 5-10 minutes at a time. 3 other eggs have externally pipped, two in the last few hours, one earlier.

Day 21 is tomorrow. The fun is already starting!!!
Pictures, please 🐣🐣

I would not use the plastic tote, because of the mosture, and I don't use shavings either. A cardboard box I could throw away and get a new one. Currently my 6 week old chicks are in an bookshelf set on it's back with the shelves out. (it is just a border) I plan on moving them to a sectioned off area of the coop when I have time to do that.

Almost all of the eggs have externally pipped. Chick 14 is dried out along with Chick 5 (dark gray), so I've moved them to the brooder because chick 14 was pecking Chick 3. 14 and 5 hatched sometime after midnight last night. Chicks 3 and 8 have hatched now too. Here's a pic of 14 and 5.

Attachments

• Chick 14 and 3_gray.jpg
    Chick 14 and 3_gray.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 6
I candled my eggs Wednesday, and found nine to be questionable. I kept spinning about it today, so candled them this evening. I embraced my insecurities about what I’m seeing, and made the call to pull them. I will do my eggtopsy tomorrow so I can see what I can see. The remaining 7 were all firm in veins and movement, so I’ll wait til lockdown to candle one last time. Do you even really know why they are viable on day 7, but day 10 half aren’t? Some of these eggs were from a pullet that started laying about a month ago, maybe that was an issue? Well , one of the cemanis went broody yesterday, so I put the eggs I had collected under her, maybe nature will be more forgiving 🖤🖤

Back
Top Bottom