Japanese Beetles...yummy!

If you hang a Japanese beetle bait without the trap part inside your chicken tractor, it's almost as much fun as watching TV. We call it "BeetleMania".

you might want to take a close look at the toxic warnings on those beetle traps. I won't let the wife go near them and I only handle them with latex gloves on. You might be passing toxic chemicals to your birds by feeding them beetles that have come in contact with the bait. If they ate as toxic as i think they are, then the toxins must surely pass into their eggs, and if you eat their eggs, into your body. Just dome food for thought. I threw my boxes out, but maybe someone out there kept theirs and can share the warnings online with us.

I wasn't sure if I could feed them to the chickens. We have a ton that come around here but not usually till a little later in the summer. I know the girls will be happy, I will use the light and bucket trick.

E. TN. We just got them this week and I'm in central KY. My family lives in W. Ky and they've had them for a while. They are probably working their way over to you.
wink.png

I care too! anyone know? I do appreciate the light and bucket of water, but I really really like the idea of the bug chute straight to the chickens!!

They use pheromones to attract the beetles not poison. The trap does not kill the beetles only attracts them. Sometimes the hot sun hitting the bag scorches them to death.

Edited to say I used to have loads of Japanese beetles. I have not seen the first one this year and my bag has not caught any. The bag has been out since just before June.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom