Japanese Beetles...

My chicks adore them too! I've been picking them off and serving them up as a snack, but I love the idea of cutting the bottoms off the beetle traps. Brilliant!!!!

What's ironic, is that I got guineas (at the same time as the chicks) precisely for beetle control, but the guinea gang would rather eat lettuce than bugs. Go figure!

Love this forum, by the way. I'm new to chicks and have been learning so much from all of you!

Susan

I love hitting them and bumblebees with a racquet. You get that lovely PINK sound as they rocket across the yard....

Warning about bumblebees if you don't kill it, it might just come back for you...

Bubba

I love the idea of he hole in the bottom. I was wondering what would prevent them from flyng off again, but I would imagine they would just go back to the lure at the top and fall down again. Right? And please. Bumblebees are good. With the shortage of honeybees, we need all the bees we can get to pollinate gardens etc.
smile.png
Merry

This information is great to know. I live in an area surrounded by bean and corn fields, as soon as the farmers start harvesting there are clouds of Japanese Beetles in the air. A person can't stand running from the house to the car!
barnie.gif
And the little suckers bite too.
ep.gif

Last year we sprayed the outside of the house and windows with pest tabs disolved in water. This year I have 40 chickens that will take care of the problem for me!!
wee.gif

I had a japanese beetle in the waterer struggling, my chickens didn't know what to do with it, maybe because it was in the water? They may be getting them in the yard when I don't see them. (I hope!)

I guess now I know why my chickens are hanging out under the beetle trap! LOL! I didn't know they liked them and have not actually observed them eatting them, but they do congregate there. I'll have to try cutting the hole in the bag...
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom