Nightbird1001

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Alaska
I was wondering if anyone has tried to create a rose comb Japanese bantam. I was thinking about trying to cross a Japanese with a Rosecomb bantam. Would it be possible to cross the two breeds and get a rose or other small comb? Then would I be able to breed out the Rosecomb body attributes in order to get a normal looking Japanese with a rose comb? Is there a different breed that may be better to try?
My first thought would be to try black Japanese with a black Rosecomb. Their bodies are relatively similar in shape... ish. What about the white earlobes? are the tails going to be an issue with the Rosecomb having wider tail feathers

The goal: A normal looking Japanese with a rose comb.
The Reason: I think it would be the Cutest thing in existence!

I am not new to chickens and have a basic understanding of genetics, but this is beyond what I know. I have also never done a project as next year will be the first time I have the financial and spacial ability so tip on projects would be helpful also. Also is this too hard of a first time project?

So once I actually hatched a RosecombxJap egg that I got at a show since they were just going to throw it away. It had a big tail, short legs, white earlobes, and a rosecomb. He had golden leakage but that was because the Japanese half wasn’t black.
I think the earlobes will be a challenge to breed out but overall, not impossible. Good luck!

Thats Cool, Thanks
Do you happen to know what angle the tail for that bird was carried at? Did it take the Japanese carry angle or did it have the Rosecomb carry angle?

Back
Top Bottom