Java and silver laced / blue orps

LittleTreeGuy

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2016
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
So, I'm new to chickens... very new... I've been nosing around this forum for a while now, as well as several other online forums. I'm hoping to start my small backyard flock in the spring. I'll be going with 4 or 5 birds.

I have narrowed my choices down to the following breeds:

Orpingtons
Barred Rocks
Java's

I like the coloring of the less common variants of these birds. I had planned on ordering from some place online, like MPC or something... as my local Tractor Supply only sells usually one type of chick. Since I consider these birds to be as much pets as egg-layers, I want to get birds I like. All three are suitable for my location.

My questions....
Is it realistic to think I can find maybe a couple of blue or silver laced orps in the spring, easily?
Will they cost me a fortune, opposed to the common color?
Should I look somewhere else to purchase chicks from rather than large online suppliers? Not sure anyone local to me has these types of birds.
I know Java's are fairly rare, or so I've read... is it possible to get them?

Hello,
It's always possible to get the breeds you really want. But it can take time and of course more money. Since you're close to Ohio, the Ohio National Poultry Show is something you might enjoy. It's the second weekend in November, in Columbus Ohio. You will see so many different types of chickens and other birds it will amaze you. If you like Facebook, there is an Ohio National Poultry Show group that you can join, and people will post what types of chickens they are bringing to the show to sell. And these are breeders that have show quality birds. I think that really might help you find some of the fancier colors you're interested in.

Hello! I've had Buff Orpingtons and absolutely Love the breed!!!! Big hens, great layers, but best of all, they are so friendly. I had started a couple on hand taming right from when they were 2 days old. Gladys, the best......would grow up to just walk right into my hand, sit in my lap, lay with my big boy dog, let children hold her....
I have no experience with the other breeds, but the Orpington comes in a lovely variety of colors. Hope that helps a little.

Back
Top Bottom