Jelly Egg?

Puranin

Chirping
Dec 8, 2016
Tennessee
I Gathered my eggs this afternoon and discovered a fairy egg. The weather has been very strange with the temperature jumping from below freezing to the 60's and back to the 40's with rain. I had an extra full size rubber egg a couple weeks ago. (6 eggs in one day from 5 hens) All my ladies are acting fine and have laid fairly steadily I get between 2-5 daily. I was curious and cracked the fairy egg and it was kinda rubbery the shell wouldnt crack but would bend. I got it open and out comes a very thick jelly looking glob with what appears to be regular egg white with it,and right in the middle of the blob is a little cloudy spot with red in it. Is this just a white yolk in a fairy egg or is something wrong with one of my girls. they have free choice oyster and layer pellets and get to free range all day on 5 acres.

I Gathered my eggs this afternoon and discovered a fairy egg. The weather has been very strange with the temperature jumping from below freezing to the 60's and back to the 40's with rain. I had an extra full size rubber egg a couple weeks ago. (6 eggs in one day from 5 hens) All my ladies are acting fine and have laid fairly steadily I get between 2-5 daily. I was curious and cracked the fairy egg and it was kinda rubbery the shell wouldnt crack but would bend. I got it open and out comes a very thick jelly looking glob with what appears to be regular egg white with it,and right in the middle of the blob is a little cloudy spot with red in it. Is this just a white yolk in a fairy egg or is something wrong with one of my girls. they have free choice oyster and layer pellets and get to free range all day on 5 acres.

Hi - are your girls new layers? Based on what I've seen, the egg looks within the realm of "normal" to me. Whites can vary in viscosity and clarity without it necessarily be a sign of a health issue. The blob in it looks like a meat spot, primarily an aesthetic concern.
smile.png

I was gifted my girls after a coyote got all but 1 of my flock. So the one is right at. A year old. I believe that 3 of the others are right around a year old and one of them is three. She is my Brahma Mama. I'm unsure as to which one laid it. I know it wasn't the Brahma or Amaracana. But could've been the buff RIR or barred rock.

Back
Top Bottom