Jersey Chicks

Tunatango

In the Brooder
May 8, 2023
Hello All!!! First time raising chickens for the wife and I. Would love to have a small farm someday (although running out of days) but the chicks will do for now. Our Gordon Setter has been wanting companionship since his surrogate mom passed away a couple of years ago but I don't think this is what he had in mind. How do you teach a bird dog that chickens aren't birds. He has adapted wonderfully (see attached pic).

We were introduced to chickens by a friend of my wife who lives in farm country NJ (is there such a thing). Next thing you know he picked up 6 chicks for us and was raising them in his brooder until we were ready. Well, a few weeks in, he decided to get more chicks for himself and we had to make a make shift brooder in a bathroom using a portable dog pen, suv floor mat, some carboard, broom handles, heat lamp and window screens to cover the top. They are now about 10/11 weeks and we are still in search of a coop but we venture them outside in a temporary pen or free range when weather and watchful eyes permit. So I think we have 6 Golden Comets (sex-linked hybrid). Maybe someone can tell by pics. Te person that provided us with the chicks said we need more color so I think 2 Black Copper Marans are in the near future although our Gordon is probably hoping for a Golden Retriever.

I have to many other projects going on that might make buiding a coop humane enough for 8 chickens an issue and keeping it low profile. But that is next problem to solve.

Great to be aboard!
IMG_6908.jpg
IMG_6928.jpg

Hello All!!! First time raising chickens for the wife and I. Would love to have a small farm someday (although running out of days) but the chicks will do for now. Our Gordon Setter has been wanting companionship since his surrogate mom passed away a couple of years ago but I don't think this is what he had in mind. How do you teach a bird dog that chickens aren't birds. He has adapted wonderfully (see attached pic).

We were introduced to chickens by a friend of my wife who lives in farm country NJ (is there such a thing). Next thing you know he picked up 6 chicks for us and was raising them in his brooder until we were ready. Well, a few weeks in, he decided to get more chicks for himself and we had to make a make shift brooder in a bathroom using a portable dog pen, suv floor mat, some carboard, broom handles, heat lamp and window screens to cover the top. They are now about 10/11 weeks and we are still in search of a coop but we venture them outside in a temporary pen or free range when weather and watchful eyes permit. So I think we have 6 Golden Comets (sex-linked hybrid). Maybe someone can tell by pics. Te person that provided us with the chicks said we need more color so I think 2 Black Copper Marans are in the near future although our Gordon is probably hoping for a Golden Retriever.

I have to many other projects going on that might make buiding a coop humane enough for 8 chickens an issue and keeping it low profile. But that is next problem to solve.

Great to be aboard!View attachment 3497898View attachment 3497899
Awww what a great introduction. I love your pictures and yes, there is farm country New Jersey. There’s also farm country in Maryland believe it or not welcome to byc!!

Great to be aboard!View attachment 3497898View attachment 3497899
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom