Jersey Giant Hatching Question-Day 24--Lesson Learned

Calebs Acre

Songster
14 Years
May 17, 2008
Long Island
IDIOT QUESTION WARNING:
I have some Jersey Giant eggs from eBay and yesterday was Day 21. Upon candling, things look good, but maybe not quite ready yet. Everything else coming out of this incubator has been hatching on time (have lots of different things mixed in there together).
I have gone ahead and moved the eggs into a non-turning hatching incubator.
Do larger chickens sometimes take longer to hatch? Anything specific to Jersey Giants that are unique?

Thanks,
Nancy

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sooo glad you asked this question! I have some Jersey Giants getting ready to start laying and I was wondering the same thing about hatching late. Thanks!!!

Thank you so much for the link. There is so much reference material here that I often miss all of the different places to look!! Today is day 22. The eggs are full, so anytime they should start making noise. I hope all is well with them. I'm always concerned when things aren't exactly as they should be. I'd like to see more movement, or something.

I'm so excited because I want to meet one of these impressive birds!!! Figure if I have Giant Dewlap Toulouse geese, I should also have Jersey Giant chickens. There are blue.

What kind of personalities do your exhibit?

My Jersey Giants are hilarious! I have 3 roos and 2 hens, which just happened by pure coincidence lol but they get along fine and I think I will keep them all for now! They are about 15 weeks old and every time I go to their coop and run they think I have to talk to them. If I don't they all fly up to their perch and crane their necks to look at me! They get along very well with each other and wonderfully with my other chickens. They are pretty big babies! They are already HUGE at just 15 weeks old. I mean honestly they look twice the size of my barred rock pullets! But definite sweethearts, they come running whenever they see me.

They sound wonderful! Now, if they ever hatch! I've been so apprehensive at this stage of the game every time, thus far. Last week, I had an unknown duck egg and suddenly, I heard peeping, and there it was....all by itself and fast. So much easier than the marathon when the dewlaps were hatching!!

Gosh, I hope they are OK. I have the temp and humidity OK, so it's now in God's hands.

Thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom