Jersey Giant or something else

Lesleyf858

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 29, 2014
Can anyone tell me what breed this chicken is. She is supposed to be a Jersey Giant but she is 6 months old and same size as my barred rock. She has yellow skin, a green tinge to her black feathers in the sun but I was expecting her to be bigger by now.

She's probably a Black Jersey Giant. Jersey Giants are slow to mature so it may take a while yet before she is significantly larger than your Barred Rock. The other possibility is a Black Australorp but if she really has yellow skin, she's not an Australorp as they have white skin. Check the bottoms of her feet. If they are an obvious yellow, she is a Black Jersey Giant, but if they are whitish or grayish, she is a Black Australorp.

She's probably a Black Jersey Giant. Jersey Giants are slow to mature so it may take a while yet before she is significantly larger than your Barred Rock. The other possibility is a Black Australorp but if she really has yellow skin, she's not an Australorp as they have white skin. Check the bottoms of her feet. If they are an obvious yellow, she is a Black Jersey Giant, but if they are whitish or grayish, she is a Black Australorp.
x2

Thanks. Yes she has yellow feet. I was just surprised that she is not bigger at 6 months I thought they did majority of growning by then and just filled out after. She has also just started to squat so I imagine getting ready to lay.

Thanks. Yes she has yellow feet. I was just surprised that she is not bigger at 6 months I thought they did majority of growning by then and just filled out after. She has also just started to squat so I imagine getting ready to lay.

You're welcome. She should eventually pass you Barred Rock in size. Of course there's always the possibility that she could turn out to be a runt (for a Jersey Giant). :eek:) You can get a runt in any breed.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom