Jersey Giant sick? * WARRING THIS IS A LONG THREAD*

Bartonsfinest

Songster
Jul 13, 2022
Barton Ohio
I need some help or correct information on what's wrong with one my new baby chicks Tonight was a close one she almost died tonight by pure luck she pulled through! I just got 6 new baby chicks last Saturday from Rural King. I personally wouldn't get chicks from that horrible place same goes for TSC ( It's a local and personal preference)

But anyways he came home with 2 Black Jersey Giant hens, 2 Appenzeller Spitzhauben,
And 2 more he said he just picked them out he didn't know what they were . They gave him NO AGES, NO INSTRUCTIONS on HOW TO DO ANYTHING with these POOR BABY'S.

I noticed right away that one of my Jersey Giants ( Chickadee) wasn't acting " normal" She is A LOT smaller then the other 5 and smaller then the other Jersey Giant. She doesn't lay down in the brooder box she sleeps standing up, The same day I got them I took every single chick by there selfs and gave them a "Amateur"
Lookie lou.

Only 2 had pasty butt and my sick Chickadee was one I got her and the other chick cleaned up. After a day the other 5 chicks got comfy and started to run and flap around the brooder box just actually what I perceive as " normal" chick behavior. Not so much for my Chickadee she just stood under there heat lamp and slept. If she noticed the other ones eating or drinking she would cheep the whole time but she would eat little pecks of there medicated chick feed and have slips of water and I gave them electro water the first couple days

This morning I noticed she wouldn't open her eyes at all she was breathing so I IMMEDIATELY isolated her and tried to give her sugar water with a qtip and a syringe she barely took thar. I talked to a friend of mine who works in a hatchery she told me it could be a number of things that could be wrong with her. But just to keep her isolated and to feed her room temperature egg yolk and keep giving her room temperature sugar water and that's what I've been doing for almost 24 hours

She almost died last night I could feel her heart beat slow down she wouldn't open her beak to get anything in. I don't know how my husband did it but he got a tiny bottle for a kitten and feed her sugar water. I could feel her heartbeat speed back up. I cleaned her up and I have her in her own brooder box right next to my bed and I haven't left her side ALL DAY!

Does anyone know or have some kind of idea what's wrong with her? I don't want to loose her
16845688999644794120478214161699.jpg

You mentioned she is smaller, possibly failure to thrive.

Can you send a pic of the brooder as well as a pic of her poo if she can get any out.

Be very careful with the syringe or bottle. Very easy to aspirate the little ones.

About all you can do for new chicks with problems is to keep the vent clean daily, since pasty butt will tend to recur for days, and dip their beaks into electrolyte water and feed. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 1-2 drops twice a day can give a quick boost. Some chicks may hang around feed stores longer than they should, and some get unnoticed pasty butt, or may not be able to get to the water or feed. I hate how some stores use nipple waterers, and some chicks can’t reach it. Also, when customers are allowed to pick up chicks, they can get mixed up. Keep them warm around 90 degrees under their heat source. Good luck.

she passed away this morning I was holding her until she took her last breath it's weird because she got like a little bowl of energy probably about 10 minutes before she passed and I really thought she was going to make it I mean it seemed like she was getting better all the sudden she took a turn for the worst it was so quick and fast I don't think she was in pain I hope not what's left of my heart and soul would be ripped out crushed and just annihilated if I knew she felt any pain or anything horrible her last few hours of life I gave her a little burial today and it's beens really hard on me I've had so much loss with this and last year my dad passed away last March my cat had one kitten beginning of this March and it died and now I get these baby chicks and the baby chick passed away and I'm scared the other ones are sick or something's wrong so I've been upset all day I buried her with my big cat that died two summers prior and the kitten that just passed in March so we have little pet cemetery in our backyard so she's with her other pet family she's not alone in the afterlife I guess that gives me some kind of comfort and that if there is an afterlife that hopefully she's not alone she's with the kitten and big kid either you know guide her or whatever I'm not a very spiritual person or religious

Last edited:
She was going to the bathroom she didn't have diarrhea she did go bathroom a couple times before she passed she did have PC butt when I picked her up last night to give her a feeding I did clean it off right away and stuff like that and kept her warm and everything like that and she was isolated from the other chick so but I think that something might be wrong with my other Jersey Giant she's not acting like when the passed away but she just I don't know if I get this weird feeling that something's not right it's hard to explain

I'm very sorry for your losses.
I suspect that you could possibly be dealing with coccidiosis. Purchase Corid 9.6% liquid solution at a feed store, it'll be in the cattle section.
Dosage is 9.5ml per gallon of water for 5 days. Make it fresh daily for them to drink and dont add anything else into the mixture. Do not give the chicks anything containing thiamine, it will be counterproductive.

639-amprolium_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom