Josie Joe

In the Brooder
May 24, 2019
I live in Panama. I started to have chicken for eggs and for eating. Now, since almost one year, I became (almost) vegan so my chicken are my pets now. I refuse to give them to anyone because here they will make a soup out of them. I want them to live a long happy life. I think they deserve it. The type of chicken, I don't know the name, they have no feathers on the neck. They are very cute and look like prehistoric birds. Because I stopped eating the males and now they all are pets, I have 3 roosters and 3 hens. Just two weeks ago one hen passed away and now I have her sister that is sick which is why I started to look up for information and help to try to save her life. One rooster is older and he had that disease, he got the neck crooked and he can't eat on his own having the beak up. So, I feed him 2 to 3 times per day and hold his water container so he can drink. Sometimes he is a little better and manage a little. He looks like a little paralyzed like after a stroke. I had chickens in the past when I was living in Canada but never kept them long. They were for meat. Now, my objective is different. I do eat an egg once a while but only from my hens. I like to keep them healthy and friendly. I live in a hostel in Panama, Central America and here people when they talk about chicken it is just about making a soup. They don't bother of how to keep them healthy so much; as soon they have some weight they become food. So even from the vet, I don't find people knowledgeable enough to help me with my sick hen. Therefore why I joined the blog. Please, anyone that know what I should do I would be grateful for any help. Thank you. Looking forward to learn lots and keep my babies for a happy long life. Oh! Right. I also have 7 cats and three dogs... all rescued and they all get along well with my chicken; I thought them to never hurt my chickens. This morning I have my big dog, Bobby, sniffing my Ti-Roux (the crooked neck one) front and back and just led don't beside him. Regular scene between all of them in my home. Nice to see.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :frow:welcome
C68D67B4-28CE-4AEC-9555-4F41B560D9F2.jpeg

Ti-Roux with the crooked neck.
Goldie with the necked neck.
Goldie's dirty butt two days ago.
Goldie's clean butt after a 30 minutes bath.
Goldie is very bloated and I don't know what to do. I am afraid she will die if I don't act fast enough. I am trying to read stuff but I am getting tired. I need help to decide what action I should take. Could you help me or know someone that could give me some directions of what to do.

Attachments

• Goldie.jpg
    Goldie.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 10
  • Ti-Roux.jpg
    Ti-Roux.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Goldie's dirty butt.jpg
    Goldie's dirty butt.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Goldie's butt.jpg
    Goldie's butt.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 10
Ti-Roux with the crooked neck.
Goldie with the necked neck.
Goldie's dirty butt two days ago.
Goldie's clean butt after a 30 minutes bath.
Goldie is very bloated and I don't know what to do. I am afraid she will die if I don't act fast enough. I am trying to read stuff but I am getting tired. I need help to decide what action I should take. Could you help me or know someone that could give me some directions of what to do.

Try posting a thread about your sick chickens on the emergencies/ diseases/ injuries and cures forum- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Back
Top Bottom