Judge my birds- if you have knowledge to go with opinion

ChelseysChicken

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
North TX
White Wyandotte bantam

White Wyandotte bantam
I'll only judge this Wyandotte, as I don't raise Old English Game. Here is what I see in this bird:

Head: Good depth and expression. Would like to see a little smaller wattles and comb (less masculine). But, this is better in my opinion than having a too-small head.

Back: Too long. This bird has a body more like that of a White Rock than a White Wyandotte. Wyandottes should fit in a circle; they should be round and deep. I'd like the back to be shorter.

Depth of body: Good and would probably balance with length if the body was short enough.

Tail: Good carriage. Has a nicely structured tail (no signs of bunny tail, which is when the feathers are too soft and flop over like a Cochin's tail. Good cushion in front of the tail.

Legs: I'm assuming this is a hen? I'd like to see yellower legs. They do have good length, maybe just a little short for my taste.

Wings: Excellent carriage of wings. They should be horizontal, as with this bird. Nicely tucked, as they should be.

The major problem I see with this bird is the length of body. With the correct male, you could fix that in the offspring. She is a very decent bird with a tail that you'd definitely want to keep in the offspring.

Last edited:
Thank you
I'll only judge this Wyandotte, as I don't raise Old English Game. Here is what I see in this bird:

Head: Good depth and expression. Would like to see a little smaller wattles and comb (less masculine). But, this is better in my opinion than having a too-small head.

Back: Too long. This bird has a body more like that of a White Rock than a White Wyandotte. Wyandottes should fit in a circle; they should be round and deep. I'd like the back to be shorter.

Depth of body: Good and would probably balance with length if the body was short enough.

Tail: Good carriage. Has a nicely structured tail (no signs of bunny tail, which is when the feathers are too soft and flop over like a Cochin's tail. Good cushion in front of the tail.

Legs: I'm assuming this is a hen? I'd like to see yellower legs. They do have good length, maybe just a little short for my taste.

Wings: Excellent carriage of wings.  They should be horizontal, as with this bird. Nicely tucked, as they should be.

The major problem I see with this bird is the length of body. With the correct male, you could fix that in the offspring. She is a very decent bird with a tail that you'd definitely want to keep in the offspring.
thank you for taking the time, I appreciate all of the feedback.

White Wyandotte bantam
I raise White Wyandotte bantams, and this is my opinion on your bird:

Overall, she's a pretty hen. It looks like she has a broad head, nice cushion, well-formed comb, and smooth, round breast. I also appreciate the fact that her wings are carried well-tucked up--loose wings are a common fault in Wyandottes.

My critiques are:

Back: The back is somewhat longer than I would like. It may be because she isn't posing very well in the photo, or not. Your rooster appears to have a short back, so bred with her, might produce ideally backed birds.

Leg color: Her legs are rather light. You want yellow legs in a Wyandotte, even in a laying hen. Your bird's legs appear nearly white.

------

I don't raise Old English Game, but judging from what I've seen in other show-quality Old English Game, I would lengthen his back a little, tighten his feathering, and make his tail a little tighter (more "whip-like"). Also, it may just be the lighting, but his feathering appears to be somewhat brassy (yellowed) in the hackle area. That is a defect-- preferably, you want white plumage to be pure white.

Last edited:
Thank you
I raise White Wyandotte bantams, and this is my opinion on your bird:

Overall, she's a pretty hen. It looks like she has a broad head, nice cushion, well-formed comb, and smooth, round breast. I also appreciate the fact that her wings are carried well-tucked up--loose wings are a common fault in Wyandottes.

My critiques are:

Back: The back is somewhat longer than I would like. It may be because she isn't posing very well in the photo, or not. Your rooster appears to have a short back, so bred with her, might produce ideally backed birds.

Leg color: Her legs are rather light. You want yellow legs in a Wyandotte, even in a laying hen. Your bird's legs appear nearly white.

------

I don't raise Old English Game, but  judging from what I've seen in other show-quality Old English Game, I would lengthen his back a little, tighten his feathering, and make his tail a little tighter (more "whip-like"). Also, it may just be the lighting, but his feathering appears to be somewhat brassy (yellowed) in the hackle area. That is a defect-- preferably, you want white plumage to be pure white.
[/quote THANK YOU so mih for feedback!

Thank you all for the very informative feedback. The wyandottes are my show/breeding pair. Is there a way I improve the color of hens legs? I just got them so of there's anything I can do I will! Thanks again everyone!

Thank you all for the very informative feedback. The wyandottes are my show/breeding pair. Is there a way I improve the color of hens legs? I just got them so of there's anything I can do I will! Thanks again everyone!
Sometimes, feeding grass or yellow foods like corn can improve leg color. That is because those foods contain high levels of yellowing pigments known as xanthophylls. However, keep in mind that feeding foods like corn can have the adverse result of making white birds brassy, or any bird overweight. Still, it might be worth a try.

Leg color is mostly genetic, though it can also have something to do with the production state a hen is in. Xanthophylls in a hen's body go into the yolks, which means a highly productive hen's legs/beak do fade in color over time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom