July 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

Gah! My thermostat ran wild. It didn't trip for some reason and the temp soared to 50*c! I cooled the eggs down but we are in the final week! Thankfully the spike was only 10 minutes, 20 max. I noticed the bator was a lot bit hotter than normal, looked at the side and the thermostat was reading 55! I don't want to convert that to F, I think I'll faint.

My second egg hatched yesterday so they both came early.

I hope to see mine hatching around July 24th....bought off ebay 6 La Breese white and she included two extra?. They came very well packed and I tried to candled them and can't tell much yet but they look hopeful. First time to make my own styrofoam incubator and to try hatching my own chicks.
I have 2 BR and 2 RIR that I bought early spring they were about 3 weeks old pullets from our l local store. and they are getting big enough to start laying now.
Let us know how they go, I have never bought eggs from e-bay so info from you would be nice in-case I ever want to. All the best

We bought 3 guineas, and since the one female kept laying eggs everywhere, we collected them all and numbered them, and two of my leghorns went broody, so we're doing this! Today we found 3 keets hatched! So exciting! We've got a few of the chicken eggs under the two broody hens, so I'm hopeful they all hatch.
Congrats!!!! all the best with the other chicken eggs..

If you buy from someone reputable, shipping's a nice way to get eggs. I had one lady single wrap in bubble wrap each 15 eggs (ordered a doz. and got 3 extras). Only one was broken slightly.

Progress: A Hedemora was waiting for me when I woke up this morning, totally unexpected as I didn't even see it pipping when I went to bed. Another is pipping and now two Isbar are in the stage of hatching too. Yahoo! Yesterday's two Polish chicks (I had pulled them out) also seem to be doing well so far.

Last edited:
I finally worked up the nerve to order eggs from eBay and was pleasantly surprised. I ordered 12 serama eggs to add to my existing flock. Each was individually wrapped in bubble wrap, I received 14 unbroken eggs and only one had a detached air cell. I set half of them in my brinsea mini last Thursday and the other half I set in a 2nd brinsea mini on Saturday. We are due the last week of July. :) I did already have to candle the 1st 7 I set out of curiosity and all 7 had veins showing, so hopefully we will have success!

It sounds like an exciting time! I have had a very successful hatch so far with a total of 10 chicks.
I have a question. If this has been answered previously, I apologize. So here goes- after a pip hole appears, how long before the chick should "appear?"

I finally worked up the nerve to order eggs from eBay and was pleasantly surprised. I ordered 12 serama eggs to add to my existing flock. Each was individually wrapped in bubble wrap, I received 14 unbroken eggs and only one had a detached air cell. I set half of them in my brinsea mini last Thursday and the other half I set in a 2nd brinsea mini on Saturday. We are due the last week of July.
smile.png
I did already have to candle the 1st 7 I set out of curiosity and all 7 had veins showing, so hopefully we will have success!

i usually buy from sellers off of ebay i have rarely had an issue some even offer to replace eggs for the cost of shipping. But out of ordering several times over the years i have only had this one case of the issues associated with shipping. i wish you luck and many pictures!
It sounds like an exciting time! I have had a very successful hatch so far with a total of 10 chicks.
I have a question. If this has been answered previously, I apologize. So here goes- after a pip hole appears, how long before the chick should "appear?"
a few hours its an exausting process for them so they stop alot

Back
Top Bottom