July Hatch-a-long

Lol, so you are a nervous cleaner too huh? You can always tell if I am stressed because my house is spotless. When I an chillin my house looks like its chillin too, lol.

:gig Totally! I started cleaning yesterday so I wouldn't stare into the bator every 5 minutes. It didn't take me long to get thru everything though, so now I'm back to pressing my nose to the window again. But, my eggs are rocking! Maybe I'll get a pip tonight!

Thanks. I just asked hubby about building me one and he said you can use the base heater thermostats like you did but don't use the ones with the telephone like wires because they will melt your electronics and maybe cause a fire. I think we might have a base heater thermostat around here, maybe I can get him to make me a lockdown incubator.

Thanks for sharing!

That was suppose to say can't use the flimsy ones, your husband is correct! I watched a YouTube video and they used an old cooler which also works. About anything you can insulate will also work. Seen some use an old cabinet to make a larger one. I hope your husband can make you one too.

Last edited:
Marlena has hatched 3 of her 5 eggs, and one in the incubator (of 6) is rocking a little (day 20). I locked the incubator down this morning -- it is a day later than Marlena's eggs.

I am hating my wafer thermostat right now. It will be doing fine then all of a sudden it will go really high. I have to adjust it down then spend two days getting it back where I want it. Then after 3 or 4 days it goes wonky again! Grrr! I am afraid it is going o cook my eggs if I am not monitoring it every few hours.

I think when this batch is done I am going to sell my new incubator and buy some silkies to brood my eggs.

That makes 2 people telling me the wafer assemblies aren't that great, thanks for the advice, I've decided not to get one now :)

Thanks. No biggie really. The Malines are my focus. I only got the BLRW eggs because it was a surprise that my production red went broody & I had no rooster. I was picking up some call ducks when I told breeder my broody story. She had several breeds of hatching eggs available. It wasn't until a week after that I had planned to pick up the Malines eggs. In a way, I'm glad it worked out this way. Now all 3 broodies will have chicks around the same time & will all look the same.

Aww you're such a good mama!

Back
Top Bottom