July Hatch-a-long

I have a Hatching Record spreadsheet my daughter made me to keep track of all these hatches. She also made me sheets for chicken purchase timeline ans deaths so I can always have a reference.

well egg #4 smelled when I came in from work...fully formed but some yolk still.

eggs marked 7/1 are chirping and 1 pipped

Sorry for loss but gl with next batch. I have 1 chick and 8 pipped. Candled other 4 and 3 are alive and moving but the last is an Americana egg and having a hard time seeing but may be dead. Will have to wait and see, I am still a day early so.

I had mine at 50% for days 1-18 and then 80% for the hatch. The breeder I got the eggs from told me to do 80% and then as I read more, I realized 70-80 was better, and even 65 is great. 80 is very high. Nonetheless, I had a hatch of 14 out of 17. Five frizzles and nine Black Copper Marans.

I only candled them on days 7, 14, and 18. I also had them numbered and kept a log.

I did increase my humidity a lot between 75-80% the first half of the day, then kept it at 70% - it would constantly drop I'd have to put an ounce of water pretty much every hour & sometimes 30 minutes.... There were a couple times it got down in the 50's. probably not for long. They seemed to like it at 70%, that's when I'd get hatches. So I did my best, and kept it at 70 as much as possible. I didn't sleep good at all the 3 weeks, & no sleep during lockdown. 16/18 hatched, 2 chicks dead.

I have a Hatching Record spreadsheet my daughter made me to keep track of all these hatches. She also made me sheets for chicken purchase timeline ans deaths so I can always have a reference.
Love it! That is awesome. I should have one of those... Also, medical record, that would be good.

lost one while zipping, it was soo active a little while ago it was just firing through! ... oh well, turned out to be a buff cross rooster, would have culled it anyway :/ *not now, would have turned into a table bird in the near future*

Tomorrow night is Day 7 candling! Thirteen salmon faverolles and thirteen frizzles in the Brinsea, another seven frizzles in the styrofoam incubator. We'll see! (Though I suppose it is technically an August hatch.)

Back
Top Bottom