jumbo coturnix quail eggs????????????????

chickenguy1998

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
i purchased 4 coturnix quail on saturday november 3,they were 3 weeks old when i got them(i got 1 rooster and 3 hens). this afternoon i went to their pen to check on them, then i saw an egg. then i saw 2 more, so i got three eggs and there are three hens so i guess they each laid an egg.The thing that confuses me is that they are only 5 weeks old and they are already laying!!!
smile.png
but what i really need to know is are the first eggs going to be fertile? and do they really need nesting boxes? also how long and what temperatures and humidity will the incubating process need????

Just read a lot here and google and read there.
They lay at 5 weeks.
I would wait until you see the male boinking the females on a regular basis before you save eggs for hatching. Males sometimes take a little longer to mature than the females. At maturity the male will ALWAYS be "boinking" one of the females. Your ratio 3/1 is what I have in my small pens and I have 11/2 in a big pen.
Do a lot of reading on hatching and then go for it.

They will probably lay off and on until they get about 10 weeks old and then they will be steady. 99.5 degrees and 45-50% humidity is what I use in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom