Jumbo Coturnix Quail - Learn Me A Few Things

I just emailed the link to DBF after reading the how-to article. Doesn't seem difficult but bugs freak me out.

I have to go to the feedstore today because I'm almost out of gamebird starter feed. Can I feed the coturnix and the button quail non-medicated chick starter? I have a ton of that so it seems silly to buy two different kinds if one will feed all?

Hey there! The males have a salmon-colored breast, while the hens are all speckled.
wink.png

I think the golden is a male. It puffs up like it is angry when I am adding water and food to the pen. The others run away and hide so I don't always get a good look at their breast.

I know this is an old thread, but I've been researching Coturnix and ran across it. There is tons of great info here! I now have DH talked into it and DD22 freaked out by the thought of "cutting their itty heads off with scissors!"
gig.gif
Anyway, was wondering if anyone knew if special permits were required to raise these birds in VA.

Thanks
smile.png

Hey thanks for bumping this thread up. I'm off to buy some mealworms and set up a bin for them. Didn't know it could be so easy to raise them.

Anybody feed your quail silkworms?

Also, if I keep Goldens and Browns in the same cage, would the babies be considered mixed, or still Goldens and Browns??

Quote:
I know I'm brand new, but I've been reading up and ran across this.
I have some of these guys- "super mealworms" for a separate but related project, and they'll become quail supplemental food as well when my coturnix arrive this week.

from wiki: "...Zophobas morio is a species of darkling beetle, whose larvae are known by the common name superworm or zophobas...."

The difference is they aren't really mealworms, but they seem like them, just separate them from each other (like a film canister) with a some bran and bit of potato and they will mature and lay eggs, then you won't know what to do with all of them! I guess the mature beetles will make a crunchier quail or chicken snack!

WOW! Lots of info on here!! Thanks for the bump and info!

Now, gotta question. I see everyone say game bird at least 20%. Ok, I bought a quart bag of that to get me through the weekend, BUT I noticed after they ate that their poop was watery and the chick feed look like it was the same and not digested. I cooked them a chicken egg, and their poop formed again like a chicken's. What did I do wrong?

Only have 12. Don't know the breed, just was told they are quail. They are all running around, eating, drinking, pooping, and resting under the heat lamp.

Would it hurt them to give them canary grit? Seems they need some type of grit since the food didn't look digested. Would sand work as grit for them?

I have chickens, and know about raising them, but this is my first for quail. They are just so tiny, and I'm afraid of killing them. And since I only have 12, I can't afford to lose them.

Should I continue with the egg until Monday? Or give the 20% starter with the egg? Or just the starter?

Hopefully Southern States sells quail feed, or I'm outta luck. TSC only had game starter which is what I have at 20% and I have to put it through the coffee grinder to get it small enough for them to eat.

I'm so excited to enter the quail world, and don't want to mess up!!

Back
Top Bottom