Jumping back in and would like advice!

Hen_House_Rocks!

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
After moving three years ago and having to sell my old coop, I'm jumping back in with a new batch of barred rocks!

While I'm still sad about selling the old coop...
I'm excited to build a new, bigger one!

As is my way, I'm going to use as many repurposed materials as I can.

So, today I was digging around in the garage loft and pulled out about 15 of the original wooden screens that used to be on our house. These things are absolutely filthy and don't look very pretty. However, they are 150 years old and strong. (I leaned my full weight of 140# against them and the screen held.) The screen is metal.

Do you think they would be predator proof or should I add hardware cloth to be on the safe side? What do y'all think?

Where I live, the only predators around here are dogs and house cats. ..not really smart enough to break wire or dig underneath. But I think if it could hold that much weight, it should be fine!

So, today I was digging around in the garage loft and pulled out about 15 of the original wooden screens that used to be on our house. These things are absolutely filthy and don't look very pretty. However, they are 150 years old and strong. (I leaned my full weight of 140# against them and the screen held.) The screen is metal.
Welcome Back!
How big are the screens, in inches by inches?
Got pics too?
Regular window screen may or may not suffice, especially if it's old it could be rusted and weak....but the wooden frames may be a great material.

What is your climate?
Easy to add your general geographical location to your profile, then it's always there!
upload_2018-4-6_19-0-50.png

Welcome Back!
How big are the screens, in inches by inches?
Got pics too?
Regular window screen may or may not suffice, especially if it's old it could be rusted and weak....but the wooden frames may be a great material.

What is your climate?
Easy to add your general geographical location to your profile, then it's always there!
View attachment 1327662[/QUOTE

I live in northeast Missouri. So we have 100 degree days in summer and below zero days in winter. So, basically a miserable climate. ;-)

They vary in size from 28 - 30 inches wide and 60 - 72 inches high. I'm planning to get them hosed off if it's warm enough tomorrow. I'll post pics when I do. They definitely need a coat of paint!

Also adding hardware cloth to my materials list! I want no massacres in my backyard!

I live in northeast Missouri. So we have 100 degree days in summer and below zero days in winter. So, basically a miserable climate. ;-)

They vary in size from 28 - 30 inches wide and 60 - 72 inches high. I'm planning to get them hosed off if it's warm enough tomorrow. I'll post pics when I do. They definitely need a coat of paint!

Also adding hardware cloth to my materials list! I want no massacres in my backyard!
Sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom