June 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

Just got my first Isbar egg....reminds me of those Cadbury speckled egg candies!!!

Now that all you June hatchers have finished up, I have a few questions: should I hatch with eggs pointy end down in a cut down egg carton or is that too restrictive? Should they lay on their sides and just roll around on the wire bottom of the incubator? Question number two, when you are hatching several different breeds with similar looking chicks, how do you keep the chicks separate? I was thinking about dividing the eggs into little plastic mesh baskets at lockdown but if there's any better ideas I'd love to hear them. Any tips, you experienced hatchers you?

Now that all you June hatchers have finished up, I have a few questions: should I hatch with eggs pointy end down in a cut down egg carton or is that too restrictive? Should they lay on their sides and just roll around on the wire bottom of the incubator? Question number two, when you are hatching several different breeds with similar looking chicks, how do you keep the chicks separate? I was thinking about dividing the eggs into little plastic mesh baskets at lockdown but if there's any better ideas I'd love to hear them. Any tips, you experienced hatchers you?
For local eggs, it does not matter. For shipped eggs, the should be big end up in a tray or carton. Cut off the tops for air flow.

I use tomato baskets when I need to separate breeds.

@ronott1 thanks! They are shipped eggs. I should have followed your advice the first time but my husband made me second guess the choice. Not a second time!

I also like to hatch my shipped eggs in a clean egg carton with holes cut in bottom for circulation. This hatch I used a toilet paper roll and made little egg stand for it. One got knocked down but they did well for me.

I had separated a hatch with a small piece of bubble wrap insulation...however, I think it messes with circulation on a Hovabator.

My bf made me second guess my first hatch too. With "don't believe everything you read on-line". He shut up after a while...now gets it...he's a Byc believer now! Lol!

Each hatch is different and presents some interesting situations! Best of luck!

Are we going to move over to the July Hatch-A-Long? Just wanting to follow along here, because I have a several broodies going. My Ameraucana eggs are hatching as I write this, in my incubator upstairs, and here we are almost at the Fourth of July...
Everyone here in the States...have a fabulous Fourth!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom